GA-P35-DQ6 just died. Need suggestion for a new MB please!

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
My 1.5 year old dq6 died and I have to go buy a new motherboard tomorrow morning. : :pfff:

I would really appriciate it if I could get some good suggestions. Nothing that is likely to be "special order" only because I need it replaced this weekend and I have to drive 1 1/2 hours tomorrow just to get to the city to buy a new board. If I get some suggestions I'll be calling some computer stores tomorrow morning to see if I should drive into town.

My current computer is a...

Intel Quad Q6600

GA P35-DQ6 (DEAD)

ATI 4870X2 (I would like another board with a 2nd pci-e slot just incase I ever decide to get a 2nd video card)

4X 1 gig DDR2-PC2-8500 Ram

Corsair HX620 Power Supply

I would prefer something with a less intrusive FSB Heatpipe so I have more options if I want to put an after-market heatsink on my CPU.

I really don't know whats out there these days since I didn't think I'd need to be shopping for a motherboard any time soon.

I guess I don't MIND getting another Gigabyte but I can't say as I'm all that happy that a 1.5 year old expensive MB died on me already. :(

BTW I'm going to check if my DQ6 is under warranty still but even if it is I can't afford to just sit around with a dead computer while they ship me a replacement, so I'll need to go buy a new board tomorrow no matter what.

[Edit: I have a pretty good sized case so space shouldn't be an issue. I THINK I have an Antec P182 but it was 1.5 years ago when I got it. Pretty sure its a P182.]

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Well I've ended up being sick all weeked so I haven't had a chance to go get a board. So if anyone still has a suggestion for me I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

Get a P45 or X48 mobo and you can't go wrong.

Currently your 4870X2 is limited by your GA-P35-DQ6's PCI-E x16 v1.0 or v1.1 slot(s).

Current high end video cards like your 4870 will want to use PCI-E x16 v2.0 slots for maximum bandwidth.

P45 will give you one PCI-E x16 v2.0 slot but will Crossfire at x8/x8.
X48 will give two x16 v2.0 slots so you can Crossfire x16/x16.
x16/x16 is better but not significantly so over x8/x8.

If you have the money to splurge on another 4870X2, then you should be able to get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131284

which is about the best you can get. If you are definitely going to overclock there you got your answer. If you don't know how to overclock or don't intend to do so, then you dont need to pay so much more for the Rampage's overclocking features.