Sign in with
Your question

Which1 for overall multimedia? gtx280 or hd 4870x2?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2008 6:20:27 AM

Ok guys, that's the question, plain and simply.
Which card would be better for overall multipurpouse/multimedia?
Im a casual gamer, dont play a lot, but want to get good performance in games (namely crysis) Im looking forward to spore and empire total war, and perhaps some other game...............but!.............I dont want the card JUST for that, I want it for video playback, be it online stuff-dvd-hd content etc. and also for other apps. I use photoshop cs3, and have heard that cs4 is gonna have gpu acceleration, I would love to edit and manage my pics faster and better. And, also, I use 3d software, I m using an old version of 3dsmax and use a lot cinema 4d r10, and Im thinking of maybe, just maybe getting XSI 7 cause I like what I've seen of it, and would like to know which card would be better suited for ALL THIS THINGS.
I still dont know, so I ask your opinions.
So far it is....."common" knowledge that ATI gives better image with avivo, though I have heard Nvidia has improved a lot.
And on the other fronts? XSI uses mental ray as its native render and for simulation it uses physx, (and a lot of opengl) so perhaps for that, nvidia would be better, but what about cinema4d?
Im undecided guys. Share with me your comments.
Thanks in advance. ;) 
August 24, 2008 7:29:16 AM

They will both be fast enough for whatever you do. I would go for the 4870X2 just because its faster than the 280.
But yeah, AVIVO is the best you can get, and as far as physics are concerned, Nvidia has Physx and AMD has Havoc or whatever.
My vote is for the 4870X2.
August 24, 2008 11:18:42 PM

All depends on what res you are playing/watching on.... if you have mentioned i do apologise, i skimmed that read,

Im stuck on the same question, the 280 or the x2.

The x2 seems to be a little more future proof, cos its a hell of a fast card. But really what is future proof.

Ask your wallet which card will be better! :) 

xxxxx
August 25, 2008 1:37:24 AM

I say go with the x2 seeming how it supports havok, which is supported by intel and more widly used
August 25, 2008 1:44:33 AM

Agreed X2 would be your pick, but I think for multimedia its just overkill. But if your a Frame Junky, the X2 would be your choice:) 
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2008 1:47:16 AM

i believe using nvidia physics on ati card is possible now didnt some guy figure it out. i read it somewhere.
but ya go with the x2.
=]
September 7, 2008 12:22:24 PM

HI ALL!
I WANNA BUILT A NEW GAMING RIG SOON- HERE IS A LINK OF WHAT I WANNA BUY, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS OK. PLEASE TELL ME IF ANYTHING I CHOSE WAS WRONG. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

http://www.elektronika.si/shopping_cart.php
September 7, 2008 1:41:48 PM

See benchmark:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3372&p=6

Keep in mind Crysis tend to perform better on Nvidia cards in general, so it's not representative of the cards' overall performance.

Spore is so light on hardware, it doesn't matter. You can run it with onboard.

Empire Total War isn't out yet.
!