• Configuration
  • SATA
  • Blue Screen
  • Boot
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
December 23, 2010 1:38:51 PM

I had a perfectly working system up til yesterday.
Pentium Dual, IDE 80Gb boot disk, SATA DVD Drive, SATA 500gb HDD, XP

Something happened yesterday (my guess is a virus attack) and the computer would not boot up - gave BSOD and error:
0x0000007b (0xB84CB524 0x0000034...

I managed to restart the pc by disconnectng the SATA HDD ( but keeping the HDD DVD drive). Ok it starts up ok. But as soon as I re-connect the SATA HDD, the BSOD appears on boot. I have updated the SATA drivers but still same.

I have also attempted a repair without luck - it crashes before it gets to setup with PCI.sys error.

I slip-streamed xp with sp2 and manage to Repair the installation.

However, the problem still persists. With a SATA HDD, the system crashes on boot.

I have verified that it is not memory or motherboard/bios.

I have repaired XP and re-installed all drivers. But still no luck.

Basically, problem - I can boot up with IDE boot drive and SATA DVD drive. As soon as ai attach a SATA HDD, it gets to the win logo, the scrollies get to about 25% on the first round and then BSOD.

I have checked all cables and HDs, there is nothing wrong there. In fact I have hooked up the old IDE drive with XP on this box and that works fine with as many SATA drives.

By disconnecting the SATA HDD I can go into XP ok. So I have tried bootlog and unchecking alls services etc. When I reboot with SATA HDD connected, still same happes, crashes with BSOD. The problem is that it does not write a bootlog; I think it does not get that far to write to bootlog.

I have replaced MBR but that has not helped.

More about : bsod sata hdd

December 23, 2010 4:33:35 PM

Have you tried replacing your sata cable on my system same thing happened, it turned out to be a bad sata cable I guess because it was bent therefore it became a bad conductor.
December 23, 2010 6:42:01 PM

Yes I tried a different cable, even a different sata HDD. No joy.
I know for sure that it is not the mobo, cables, memory or any hardware.
December 23, 2010 7:08:45 PM

If you have the SATA hard drive connected to another PC, run a chkdsk on that hard drive. Or, if it's back into the original computer, boot into the repair console. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r

Can you get into safe mode?

Verify that SATA options are enabled in the BIOS, and that it's recognizing that SATA hard drive.
!