Rampage formula and q9550 - not compatible?

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi!

I just got a brand new rampage formula after RMA - this one is supplied with BIOS 4.10. When I insert my brand new q9550 (E0) in it, the mobo acts as if there's no CPU inserted... How can this be?? The CPU and the Mobo seperately from each other works perfectly, because the CPU was tested in a Gigabyte board, and we put an E6400 in the Rampage... But the CPU and Mobo seem not to like each other... On the Asus page, after I opened the QVL, it is said, that this CPU (even the C1 and E0 revision) is supported by this motherboard. What is the problem? Maybe I got another crappy mobo after RMA? I don't expect this after paying such a lot money for a PREMIUM motherboard...

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Why no one helps me? The serviceguy told me, that this CPU should work in a Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 100%... Shall I move to that board?? I would like to have this CPU with an X48 board... Which one shall i choose?

If you would simply go the ASUS site and check, you need BIOS revision 0601 to support your processor. While you have the e6400 running on the board, download and update to the latest BIOS. That is likely all you need to do.

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Here is what I did.
I went to exact page you have in your link.
I clicked the link right beside where is says "Core 2 Quad Q9550"
The very next page:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=Rampage%20Formula

Well, it takes right back to the same page you have, but did you click the link next to where it lists your processor?

Now, I am not proclaiming to be the smartest person in the world, but if the board works with an earlier processor, but not a new one, it is 99.9% of the time 1 of 3 things.
1. The processor is bad. We know for a fact this is not the case.
2. The board will not support the new processor. We also know this is not the case.
3. Your BIOS revision is not recent enough to support the new processor.
If you don't want the BETA BIOS, and I can't blame you for that, simply download and install the latest PREVIOUS BIOS. You have nothing to lose, right?

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
As I said before this board was supplied with BIOS 4.10. The latest BIOS before 0601 BETA is the 4.10......

My comp is in service right now... even the seviceguy told me he doesn't understand this whole thing... He suggested me to choose a Gigabyte board with X48 chipset like the DQ6... OR choose another CPU below Q9550... He said the Q9550 would run 100% immediately inserting it to the DQ6...

szala11

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
hmmmm.... good point... will tell them to try it with 4.07... wonder if it works...

Maybe I will RMA this second board too... maybe i will move to a Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6