mashew

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I bought two 500GB HDD's(identical) when I got my comp a while ago and now I am thinking about going to RAID 1 for peace of mind. I have NOTHING on my second HDD. Is it possible to do?

I run XP Pro SP3 so I need a floppy disk drive right?

I really dont know much of what to do for this so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
First read through this to find out what you have to do as far as drivers. This is if you dont want to do a re-install.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/196922-32-switching-storage-controllers-reinstalling-windows

I think with your soutbridge you can create a mirror from an existing drive. So, if you get your drivers setup right you can switch your BIOS SATA controller setting from IDE (or whatever it is in your BIOS) to RAID. If your computer boots then install the RAID software that comes with your motherboard. Once inside here you will find options to create the mirror. I'm not sure the exact steps, but I know it is somewhat intuitive with my motherboard.

goobaah

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
First read through this to find out what you have to do as far as drivers. This is if you dont want to do a re-install.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/196922-32-switching-storage-controllers-reinstalling-windows

I think with your soutbridge you can create a mirror from an existing drive. So, if you get your drivers setup right you can switch your BIOS SATA controller setting from IDE (or whatever it is in your BIOS) to RAID. If your computer boots then install the RAID software that comes with your motherboard. Once inside here you will find options to create the mirror. I'm not sure the exact steps, but I know it is somewhat intuitive with my motherboard.

Solution

mashew

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Thank you very much guys. I have a M3A78-T with a 9950 and I have two Seagate 72000rpm 500BG (32MB cache) SATA 2.0 drives if that means anything to anyone I really should have told you earlier, my bad.

If I really must re-install then I will wait until I upgrade to 7 ultimate(after the first SP for it).

Once again TY for all the info I will look into making a mirror and hope that I can without re-install.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
+ for win 7

Anyways, you will loose all data on your current 500GB hard drive. So backup what you need first!

Install harddrives into pc (physically)

Setup raid using bios (set HD's to raid), then bios utility for raid - raid 1

Insert Win XP CD along with floppy disc with raid drivers (download and make this raid floppy disc before you start anything, get the latest from Asus's site)

Rest is just the normal os installation.

Enjoy,