Installing Vista OEM on my new build

atrain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
So here's my story:

I just built a new computer and am almost to the point of getting it running and installing Vista 64 Home Premium on it. However, the little box that Vista came in says some crap on it about having to call up M$ and get some kind of additional thing(sorry can't remember, I'm at work atm) that I need before I can fully install Vista.

Now, I'm sure plenty of people here have installed Vista 64 OEM and I was wondering if I have to do this extra step, or will I be able to install it just from the disk I bought and nothing else?

killermedic

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Yes, it is simple, as stated above. I did Vista 64 Home Premium:OEM also. Online activation was a matter of click the button with a good internet connection. And when you do major upgrades or rebuild the whole box like I just did, all you do is call the toll free number, say or enter your activation numbers and the robot voice gives you your new activation numbers to enter on your pc. It was simple to re-activate, unlike early thoughts that OEM meant one activation for your money.

Medic...out!

rockyjohn

Distinguished
So all I do is install it?

Yes, like they said above, just install it.
I read the OEM directions and thought I needed to follow them. Spent almost two hours going to the MS site, registering as a "partner", looking for simple options, finally downloading a 1 GB image that was supposedly required for the install, not able to open it, looking for other options. After two hours I said the heck with it and simply installed it like any other software - without a hitch.