Does this system have a bottleneck?

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Hi, I'm just about to order the parts to build my gaming PC, but just to make sure, I'm wondering if theres a bottleneck in this system. I realize almost all of you will say that none of this is good enough for 3 gtx 280s, but what I'm looking for is that nothing is severely bottlenecked. So, here it is:

EVGA 780i mobo
Quad Core Q9550 2.83 GHz, plan to OC it as much as I can
Triple GTX 280 XXX OC edition in tri-SLI
8GB DDR2-800 RAM
300GB 10k rpm Velociraptor HDD
1250w coolermaster real power PSU
All in a CMS 932 case with as much fans as I can possibly fit
Will be played on a 30" 305T samsung 2560x1600 monitor

So, any big bottlenecks you think are here? I'm not looking for everything to be just as good as the other (no QX or 15k rpm drives) but nothing that severely limits me. And if there is a bottleneck, please suggest something.

Thanks

I just got an xfx gtx 260. The over clocked one with 192 sp. This card will play anything thrown at it and beats the tail off my 4870. Why would you want to throw so much money away on 3 of those cards ? Get 2 260's and call it a night.

DX11 cards coming next summer.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Grab a second Velociraptor HD to throw into RAID 0, and maybe a third, big HD: 640Gb or so for storage since they're so cheap. But the first thing for sure.

americanbrian

Distinguished
To be pedantic ALL systems have a bottleneck. It is defined as the component that is the slowest part of the system. You will find that an exact match in performance is never really possible. If you take the CPU to 5 Ghz then the bottleneck would be the GFX cards, regardless if there is no faster config available.

I feel that you are merely flaunting your system as to have chosen that as a system you have the knowledge already.

I still believe you would be better off with dual 4870x2's in CF. Check out the article on the three top-end gaming systems compared. They beat the GTX's on almost everything.

Yes it has a bottleneck. It will always have a bottleneck.

As americanbrian said though, a pair of 4870x2's would be better. See this article, where the system with 4870x2's walks all over the GTX280 based systems in many game tests, including Crysis at high res. This also gives you the advantage of being able to use an X48, which are much better than nvidia chipsets IMHO.

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Don't try to persuade him to change video cards, because we've tried already, in the link spathotan posted. Every system is going to have a hard drive bottleneck, so I'd say get a second Velociraptor and put hem in raid 0.

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

a 10k rpm VELOCIRAPTOR is a bottleneck?

Seriously?

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
if you dont want peoples opinions, dont ask.

epic.jpg

Reported :lol:

Look you ****, for the last motherfucking time I'm going with 3 gtx 280s I dont give a **** what you think, every god damn thread you need to troll. I dont give a **** about your gay 4870X2s triple gtx 280 is the absolute best gpu combo on the planet right now and all you jealous **** with your 8800GTs know it.

Now shut the **** up and go cry

internettoughguysii9.gif

Dont worry. Let him build his system, he will be seeing this in no time

LMAO! :lol:

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
*ahem*

All the **** stirring aside, its a pretty balanced system. Obviously the CPU will become a bottleneck (even overclocked to 4GHz) with 3 x 280GTXs but theres not much you can do there, a 4GHz C2Q is pretty much top of the line nowadays short of a QX @ 4.5GHz...

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

Yup, at about 12fps at your monitor's native rez. I hope you like slideshows.

Oh and btw, your biggest bottleneck is TRI SLI scaling.

Just out of curiosity, once you put the system together, you mind posting some benchies?

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
**** no, you call this **** help? Give me your **** address and I'll show you fail you motherfucking pussy.

And yea, your title is right. resident jerk. **** yea you are **** troll, **** you dumbass bitches. QQ moar, and hug your weak ass GPUs. Least I'll be running a photorealistic game at max settings.
1) Yep i am the resident jerk, U see that vid?!?! It should be titled UltimaSlayer :D

2) moar i believe u mean "more" learn how to spell :lol: :lol:

3) A 9800GX2 is perfectly fast, i run CoD4 max at 250fps which is all Promod allows (if u actually scrim), and w/ my special graphic config, i max 1000 fps. If i recall the eye only sees about 28fps. Anything above isnt needed but ppl like it

4) Well the best graphic game i kno of atm is Crysis, I play it max w/ an average of 50 fps outside and 60-100 inside. I think im set