Hello guys, i have just bought an new computer speccs are:

Asus P6T deluxe v2
Core i7 920 -> cooled with CORSAIR Cooling Hydro H50 cpu cooler
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 12GB CL9
Corsair hx850w
2x xfx HD4890 xxx
WD Velociraptor 300gb
WD greencaviar 1tb

i activated the X.M.P feature in the bios under Ai tweaker, and got these results:
Everything else on Auto

Cpu core speed 4000mhz
Cpu multiplier at 20x
Bclk at 200

cpu voltage: 1.425v
Dram Bus voltage: 1.80v
Qpi/dram Core volt: 1.37500v
Cpu PLL Volt: 1.80v

Cpu temp idle : 51c
Cpu temp Max load: 77c (prime 95)

Readings are from
Asus TurboV
Real Temp 3.0
Cpu-z

am i mistaken or is the DRAM bus Voltage way to high ? is it this voltage that shouldnt be above 1.65v ?

More about : overclocking core 920

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2009 9:27:14 PM

You should be fine. As long as memory voltage is within .5v of QPI. You're right now at .0425v.

However you should still manually change your memory voltage down to 1.65v
September 17, 2009 11:36:08 PM

flyin15sec said:
You should be fine. As long as memory voltage is within .5v of QPI. You're right now at .0425v.

However you should still manually change your memory voltage down to 1.65v

Thx will do :) 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 18, 2009 4:32:07 PM

@ flyin15sec,

Good catch!

Sanni786 said:

cpu voltage: 1.425v
Cpu temp Max load: 77c (prime 95)

Readings are from
Asus TurboV
Real Temp 3.0

@ sanni786,

Nice rig, however, the most efficient overclock configurations are achieved through 100% manual settings, which is a learning curve that requires a considerable amount of time and patience, but is well worth the effort and knowledge gained. Also, you should be aware that your core voltage and temperatures exceed Intel's specifications. From Intel's Processor Spec Finder - http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=...

Vcore Max 1.375v
Tcase Max (CPU temperature) 68c
Tjunction (Core temperature) 73c

From the Core i7 and Core 2 Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core...

Section 1: Introduction

Core i and Core 2 processors have 2 different types of temperature sensors; a CPU case (not computer case) Thermal Diode centered under the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located on each Core. The case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature case), which is CPU temperature, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature junction), which is Core temperature. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a 5c temperature difference between them, which is Tcase to Tjunction Gradient. Core i7’s / i5’s and Core 2 Quad’s have 1 Tcase and 4 Tjunction sensors, while Core 2 Duo's have 1 Tcase and 2 Tjunction sensors ...

... The monitoring utilities provided by motherboard manufacturers monitor CPU temperature, while some popular freeware utilities monitor Core temperatures ... Real Temp ... is recommended for users interested in monitoring Core temperatures only ... SpeedFan monitors Tcase (CPU temperature) and Tjunction (Core temperature) ...

The thermal specification which is shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder is Tcase Max (CPU) NOT Tjunction (Core), which is a very common misconception among most enthusiasts. Since there's a 5c gradient between the CPU sensor and the Core sensors, (shown in the following Intel document) - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0709/0709.1861.pdf - just add 5c to the value shown in the Spec Finder to find the corresponding Core temperature, which is 73c for all Core i7 9xx variants.

Intel's second and frequently misunderstood thermal specification, Tjunction Max, (100c for all Core i variants) applies to overtemp protection such as Throttle and Shutdown, so you don't toast your transistors. As such, any i7 Core temperatures which exceed 73c should be considered "overtemp". Further, when specifications are exceeded, then premature processor degradation (longevity) becomes a factor that should be considered, which is explained in the following AnandTech article - http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3...

Since it's somewhat less than clear as to whether the temperature you've listed is actually CPU temperature or Core temperature, and as you haven't listed your ambient temperature, (22c is the Standard for testing and reference), you're potentially either 4c or 9c over specs.

My objective is to assure that less informed enthusiasts understand the specifications, so they can better decide how to apply and manage their overclocking options. If longevity is a concern, then there are three alternatives:

(1) Disable HT and decrease Vcore to ~ 1.3.

(2) Decrease overclock to 3.8 Ghz and Vcore to ~ 1.3.

(3) Save your current BIOS settings as "Profile 1", and save one of the above settings as "Profile 2", either of which is within specs. Then simply load Proifile 1 for gaming, or Profile 2 for routine computing, so as to maximize longevity by minimizing the number of hours spent operating over specs.

IF, :o  on the other hand, :heink:  you upgrade your rig anually or so, :love:  then screw the specs, :kaola:  have numerous beers, :pt1cable:  and enjoy your rocket! :bounce: 

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol: 
September 19, 2009 7:46:18 AM

@ CompuTronix

Thx for the post :) 

As you have prolly guessed im new to overclocking. this is the first computer that i have even considered to overclock.

Im still trying to learn as much as i can, so i have been trying to go slowly and carefully forward in the Ai tweeker menu in the bios.

i didnt run the computer for long with the settings in my post. i turned off the X.M.P and im testing some new settings. but im still having some problems.

the new settings are:
Manual:
Speedstep and intel turbo Disabled.

Cpu core speed 3800mhz
Cpu multiplier at 20x (Auto in bios)
Bclk at 190

cpu voltage: 1.35v
Dram Bus voltage: 1.66v (Auto in bios)
And everything else on auto.

Room temp about 22c

Cpu temps idle :
CPU: 40c
Core0: 47c
Core1: 47c
Core2: 46c
Core3: 46c
Core4: 47c
Core5: 47c

Cpu temps @ max load with Prime95:
Cpu: 70c
Core0: 79c
Core1: 79c
Core2: 75c
Core3: 75c
Core4: 79c
Core5: 79c
These are the average temps, they vary abit at some points they were all the way up to 85+ on all cores. :( 

Readings are from

SpeedFan 4.39
Cpu-z
Asus TurboV

Im still using the Corsair Cooling Hydro H50 cpu cooler. Dont understand why im getting so high temps. Ive been prowling the web and a couple of people come to mind who are stating that they have cooler temps with the stack cooler and same OC as the one i have atm. :( 

Also at one point when i was doing the stress test in prime 95 aprox 1h in i saw in Cpu-z that the Core multiplier went down to 12x and stayed like that for a while and then went back up to 20x. Was this because of to high temps?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 19, 2009 4:03:37 PM

Your Corsair liquid cooling system isn't exactly the best, and CPU-Z sometime does not accurately report the multiplier values, which is unrelated to temperatures, unless of course you're hitting the upper 90's.

Please refer to the following: Intel Core i7-920 Overclocking Guiude - http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-92...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 19, 2009 5:06:39 PM

Quote:
Im still using the Corsair Cooling Hydro H50 cpu cooler. Dont understand why im getting so high temps

Because it's not a very good water cooling system! The H50 is a joke in the real water cooling arena. If you want REAL WCing you'll need ~$200-250 for a high end loop. Look at my sig for my WCing loop specs.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 19, 2009 5:10:00 PM

Thanks, Shadow.

I was just trying to be somewhat less blunt about it, but thanks for backing me up.
October 8, 2009 7:28:21 AM

Eye opener for me.... I have the Thermaltake BigWater 760is. By comparing the H50 and the Tt760is, I'm guessing mine is a joke too? Well I went to the junk yard and got myself an old mopar transmission oil cooler and rigged it up the the Tt BW760is and I have two DELTA fans blowing the transmission oil cooler. If necessary I shall send pics. But my core temps are from 61c - 79c under max load. Also as you might have know the water block that comes with the 760is was not designed to fit the i7 so I modified it. would be very happy to post pics if necessary. Also I used AS5 for thermal solution. I had the put a lot because it does not spread easily. So What to do to get my temps at 4GHz under max load to 73c and below. Thanks in advance.
February 26, 2010 3:45:26 AM

I also have the H50 cooler, how many fans are you using? I have 2 fans in the push-pull configuration, mine is 3.8 overclock.My idle clock 34c idle and around 63c 100 % load. I am using the coolermaster (HAF) case with 5 fans, I believe this case is helping a lot in bring down the temperatures.
February 26, 2010 3:47:11 AM

Sanni786 said:
@ CompuTronix

Thx for the post :) 

As you have prolly guessed im new to overclocking. this is the first computer that i have even considered to overclock.

Im still trying to learn as much as i can, so i have been trying to go slowly and carefully forward in the Ai tweeker menu in the bios.

i didnt run the computer for long with the settings in my post. i turned off the X.M.P and im testing some new settings. but im still having some problems.

the new settings are:
Manual:
Speedstep and intel turbo Disabled.

Cpu core speed 3800mhz
Cpu multiplier at 20x (Auto in bios)
Bclk at 190

cpu voltage: 1.35v
Dram Bus voltage: 1.66v (Auto in bios)
And everything else on auto.

Room temp about 22c

Cpu temps idle :
CPU: 40c
Core0: 47c
Core1: 47c
Core2: 46c
Core3: 46c
Core4: 47c
Core5: 47c

Cpu temps @ max load with Prime95:
Cpu: 70c
Core0: 79c
Core1: 79c
Core2: 75c
Core3: 75c
Core4: 79c
Core5: 79c
These are the average temps, they vary abit at some points they were all the way up to 85+ on all cores. :( 

Readings are from

SpeedFan 4.39
Cpu-z
Asus TurboV

Im still using the Corsair Cooling Hydro H50 cpu cooler. Dont understand why im getting so high temps. Ive been prowling the web and a couple of people come to mind who are stating that they have cooler temps with the stack cooler and same OC as the one i have atm. :( 

Also at one point when i was doing the stress test in prime 95 aprox 1h in i saw in Cpu-z that the Core multiplier went down to 12x and stayed like that for a while and then went back up to 20x. Was this because of to high temps?

February 26, 2010 4:11:17 AM

Yes, your temps were too high. Intel went through great measures to implement safety features in your CPU. What you experienced when your multiplier dipped to 12 is known as throttling. Went your temps get dangerously high it automatically kicks in. Also (because I've done this before) you might wanna put your DRAM voltage to 1.64 otherwise is only a matter of time before you fry the IMC(integrated memory controller) in your CPU then your system will not post. Also speaking from experience, don't believe everything you read on the internet. When people claim to be getting certain temps take it with a grain of salt. Trust people on Tom's Hardware we wont lead you astray ;-) A lot of people claim to be getting really really cool temps at 3.8Ghz on stock cooler. Ask your self how did they get these temps. Was it from the Motherboards Bios, CoreTemp, Real Temp, SpeedFan or putting on actual thermometer on the surface of the CPU? There is a very good corei7 temp guide. I will find it and post it up for you if one of the Admin or Veterans don't beat me to it. I will also say this. I have an UltraChillTec which is a thermal electric cooler. I replaced the stock fan with two Deltas, one on each side. I have them in push/pull config. My core temps under max load at 3.8Ghz is about 79 to 83 (NOT GOOD) So I am putting together a quality custom water cooling kit. I suggest you do some extensive research and build your own custom water cooling loop. Good Luck to you...
!