Sign in with
Your question

Master / Slave Help

Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2008 8:40:46 PM

Hi, I recently got my first build, and I've now got a POST (hooray!) but am having a few problems with my HDDs and optical drives. I've heard a little bit about "master / slave" with jumpers / cabling / options in BIOS but I'm wondering exactly how that works. Right now if I have two HDDs, one of which I moved the jumper on because I assume they came in master position, and I had no manual. So now if I have both optical drives plugged in and my top HDD plugged in (don't know what position the jumper is in), my system can start just fine, but then when I put a disk in to install Vista, my screen reads "Boot from CD/DVD: \nBoot from CD/DVD: \nBOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I'm wondering if this is a problem with jumpers, a problem with what ends of cabling I'm using (someone told me the end port on a SATA power cable is for masters?), a problem with my BIOS settings, or a combination. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : master slave

August 1, 2008 8:54:36 PM

SATA has NO master and slave. The jumpers are only for speeds

IDE uses master and slave.

Master should be the drive on the farthest end of the cable(Black), slave in the middle(Grey) with the motherboard on the blue plug.

Board ----------Slave---------Black

Does this clear it up? do you require more help?
August 1, 2008 9:30:22 PM

I've moved on to new issues. If I use my old 320GB hdd that came with my old dell, then the hard drive spins up and everything when I start the computer. However, trying to load Vista from the disc results in a BSOD and a restart of the bios. I'm trying to get it to boot from a DVD anyway, but it doesnt seem to be working. I'll try a new CD to see if maybe thats the problem. However, this harddrive is recognized in my BIOS, whereas neither of the other two 750GB seagates were, so I'm guessing those are just bad HDDs.
Related resources
August 1, 2008 9:56:04 PM

Please list your full systems specs.

If you try to bring a hard drive from one computer to another(2000,XP. never tried with vista), there is a high chance of a BSOD.
August 1, 2008 10:16:00 PM

if its a new computer then your old hard drive wont work due to different hardware (deals with the Hardware Abstraction Layer).
August 1, 2008 10:56:55 PM

BSOD during Vista install could be one of a hundred things...

list full system specs and what version of Vista including 32 or 64bit. Ideally install Vista on a new drive and hook up your old drive just to get the data off before formatting it.
August 1, 2008 11:01:14 PM

Have you reformatted the old hard drive? You need to do that first before trying to install a new version of Windows on it. Obviously don't forget to save all of your old data and settings first.

Seagate drives were having more trouble with some drives lately, but I think you are very quick to jump to a conclusion that the drives are bad when you obviosuly know so little about installing them and not even, apparently the difference between IDE and SATA dives.

And what do you mean you moved on to new issues? You ignore the old problem with hard drives and then just jump to a new problem with another hard drive? And then blame the first hard drive. You need to learn some troubleshooting processes.

If you are not willing to invest the time to troubleshoot and do it right, maybe you don't have the time or patience to BYO.

For starters, you need to ID system and components you are working with in more detail. Second you need to describe precisely what you have tried to so far and what the results were. Third, you need to respond to the questions asked. And Fourth, who wants to help if you are just going to giveup on whatever it was you were asking about.
August 1, 2008 11:05:17 PM

On the seagate drives you have to remove the jumper so the disks will operate at SATA 3.0Gb/s. With the jumper in you will be at 1.5Gb/s.

In Bios, Standard CMOS highlight your first drive, push Enter then select Auto Detect. Do this for both drives. When you get into Windows install you will get to the place to Format Drives. You need to do at the least a Quick Format. (New Drives)

Once you get an OS installed you can plug your old drive into one of the other SATA connectors and remove any files you need to..or Format if that is what you want to do.
You will not be able to boot to your old drive. It will just act as storage.
No, We are not going to go in to a Dual boot.
!