Your question

F:\ is not accessable Access is denied

Last response: in Storage
December 24, 2009 2:34:46 AM

Before I get started, here is my system's specs:
motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.2 GHz
5-GB RAM
video card: GeForce 8600 GT (one dual DVI)
runnung 3 internal SATA HDD's and 1 USB external
---------------------------------
So, for a week now I've been getting my machine to operate the way I want it to. And all was well until all of a sudden all of my torrents started to fail with this message: "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"
So, I figured I'd try to defrag the disk and check for volume errors, but there wasn't enough disk space. So, I started deleting things I could live without or had copies of (using 'Tune Up' Utilities file shredder for those files that the recycle bin would not delete for some error code I never wrote down. Then, after I had freed up enough space I went back to do something/anything and I'm getting this message: "F:\ is not accessable Access is denied" from double clicking on it in My Computer.. & "The disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk" when trying to use the HDD's tool 'check volume for errors' . And in Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management The disk is plainly there for you to see, just like in My Computer, name of Hard Drive, Healthy, Active, Primary Partition.. so, I'm stumped. I tried to open up my older version of windows on the other section of the System HDD, and while it worked B4 (during this last week), now it's not opening, saying something about a missing dll or something.. so, I'm thinking about re-installing that WinXPx32 (see results below) just to see if I can acess the files on that OS.. otherwise, I thought it might be a jumper pin, but thats a negative also. I tried every jumper configuration and got the same results. Anyone have an idea what I could do to recover 1.2TB of movies that I amassed over the last year?
December 24, 2009 2:43:40 AM

Weird... Did you check the Security tab of the partition's Properties to make sure you have full control over it? I don't think that deleting files would have caused that, but perhaps the timing is just a coincidence. AFAIK, there is no file you can delete on a disk that prevents Windows from accessing it.
December 24, 2009 2:52:26 AM

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/PaddedWalls/Perm...
If you mean by right clicking on the HDD and selecting the Security tab, yes, er, what I'm looking at is the Group/User Names and the I see SYSTEM and the Administrator acct's.. and I've clicked (below that) Allow Full Control for both, so, yea.. it should open up, you'd think. Also, just to see if it'd work, I went to the Disk Management again, and clicked 'Shrink Volume' and what that did was create a partition on the HDD, and made a %100 accessable volume out of the other 1/2 of the drive [er, it shrunk over a TB of movies down to about 700GB] .. and still, the main volume of movies is unaccessable? I could reformat it, and I could cry as I watched all my effort go poof too ;(
Related resources
December 24, 2009 2:56:54 AM

Here is a look at My Computer.. and the one I'm having trouble is named The Grand (cinema).. and the other half of the disk is the New Volume.. which I can't figure out how to just make it go back to how it was, a 1.5TB HDD without the New Volume.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/PaddedWalls/MyCo...

(whats that BitLocker status: Off? Down at the bottom of the jpg?
December 24, 2009 3:33:29 AM

OK.. so, I just went and tried (3 times) to reinstall the WinXPx32 on the other side of the partition, to 1: delete that one partition that divides up my 1.5TB (cinema) HDD into 2 parts .. and 2: to see if WinXPx32 could get access to my stubborn 'Cinema' HDD.. but, every time I try to install it, this is what I see after it copies all the files and says 'Windows is starting' :

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/PaddedWalls/PAGE...

Dead ends.. all around, all I see are more dead ends.

[should I try to reinstall Windows 7? I'd just assume redo the OS rather than lose out on a thousand movies... that is, if it'll even let me]
December 24, 2009 4:01:12 AM

One Last Important Attempt. Once, awhile ago, something similar to this happened to me.. a basic disk just decided to be a dynamic disk, and wouldn't let me in to recover my files. So, I googled it and found: testdisk-6.10 .. which let me see all of my connected hard drives and copy files to a working hard drive B4 being forced to reformat the problematic HDD (which happens to be the same HDD I've started this thread over).. and it let me sucessfully copy all my movies onto another connected HDD.. but this time around testdisk-6.10 is not letting me see the hard drive (or any, for that matter. Just 1, my external).. so, that was another failed attempt..
December 24, 2009 4:05:17 AM

Perhaps you should have posted in the Storage section of the forums; I know more about Windows 7 than I do partitions and hard drives. Anyway, since neither XP nor Win7 can successfully access the partition, it sounds like the NTFS might be corrupt, which means you'll need recovery software. I've never used any, so I don't know what to recommend there. I guess if you can get Win7 to reinstall, you might try and see if it can access that partition again, or at least run CHKDSK on it.

EDIT: BitLocker should be off, unless you manually turned it on. If it was on, and now is off, that would explain your problem. BitLocker encrypts the data on the drive, which would certainly render it inaccessible to anything that didn't have the BitLocker key, including the OS itself.
a b G Storage
December 24, 2009 4:08:42 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows 7 to section Storage by The_Prophecy
December 24, 2009 4:15:41 AM

Bolbi said:
Perhaps you should have posted in the Storage section of the forums; I know more about Windows 7 than I do partitions and hard drives. Anyway, since neither XP nor Win7 can successfully access the partition, it sounds like the NTFS might be corrupt, which means you'll need recovery software. I've never used any, so I don't know what to recommend there. I guess if you can get Win7 to reinstall, you might try and see if it can access that partition again, or at least run CHKDSK on it.

EDIT: BitLocker should be off, unless you manually turned it on. If it was on, and now is off, that would explain your problem. BitLocker encrypts the data on the drive, which would certainly render it inaccessible to anything that didn't have the BitLocker key, including the OS itself.

So, how do I turn it on or off? I don't recall fooling with that function, but who knows, maybe I did. Also, do you think reinstalling the OS would fix this?
December 24, 2009 8:39:53 AM

(since I've gotten no reply + I've already been at this for 12 hours) I went to Demonoid for some kind of data recovery tool and right now I'm running 2 of the programs I found (at the same time in case one won't do what I want..) so now the file scan on the problematic HDD is sceduled to take about 8-10 hours.. so I'm guessing from the sheer length of time that it's gonna find all my movies.. but we'll see just what it does here in about 5 more hours. I've included a screen-shot for you to see what it's doing as well as what program it is. I will keep you posted if it works or not. If I end up figuring this out on my own, well, horray for boobies.. I hope it's of some help to someone else out there.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/PaddedWalls/EASU...
December 24, 2009 1:27:25 PM

CHKDSK /f

If that doesn't work, some really good data recovery software is D.A.R.T. --- but you'll need a place to put the recovered files, so having that extra partition (or rather keeping it) isn't a bad idea. What data recovery programs are you using now?
December 24, 2009 9:09:40 PM

It's called EASEUS.. here is the 2nd run thats taking 8-10 hours.. I think it changed the names to all of my movies.. or at least the bulk of them.. I wont know until tonight.. but it is saving them now on the same HDD that they came from. Here, have a look:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/PaddedWalls/File...

and BTW, the check disk option.. I'm not sure if it works or not.. 'cause I only see a black screen after installing a customized boot and welcome screen with a 2009 version of Tune Up Utilities made for XP, not Windows 7. And the boot+welcome screens don't work either. There's just a period of dead time and a white rope looking thing at the top of a black screen and it sort of lights up ever so slightly, as if white words were passing by, but only visable in a hair line margin.. I assume this is the CHKDSK doing it's thing.. but who knows, can't see it, can't identify it.. the HDD still ain't workin' afterwards.
December 24, 2009 10:31:43 PM

you know what.. when I decided to 'shrink the volume' for no real reason, what it did was rename all of my movies to numbers .. like: 235478.AVI .. so, there just isn't any way I'm gonna dedicate the next few months to correcting all of those folders. This was a major let down. Only sensible solution is to reformat the disk and start over from the begining. Oh well. At least I'm not almost out of space and in need of a 2TB HDD now.. I really didn't have the $$ in the budget for something like that until March or April of next year anyway. But that program, EASEUS, worked just fine in finding all my files. Needed a 1.5 TB HDD to put them all into though. So, yea. My fault.. but what I don't get is why this *** happened in the first place! So, I'm doing a non-quick format. And then I'd like to run a HDD repairing program to see if there are any errors that can be fixed B4 I use it again. Anyone know of a good program that'll scan a disk for errors and fix any bad sectors (or lock them out of use if irrepairable)..?? 'Cause thats what I really need at this point.
!