ati vc on nvidia chipset

jerfle

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I hope this is not a double post. I didn't look for this thread very hard. But I would like to now if anyone has had a problem with using an ATI graphics card on a Nvidia chipset? I'm wanting to upgrade from a 8600GTS to a 4850. I've asked around and all I get is, "My friend's, sister's, uncle's, cousin tried it , and it took a performance hit."
I don't know if it's true. But I thought I'd ask. Is there a cross compatibilty problem? Thank for the replies.

System Spec:
Windows XP
5800+ am2
Geforce 7150 chipset
3gb patriot ram
74GB raptor
250Gb wd
Aspire x-qpack case
OZC 600 w psu

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I have heard of such things....more accurately both nvidia and ati chipsets de-optimize rival add-in boards (ie graphics cards) while running on their hardware. Its an old game they both play to "encourage" costumers buy their entire platform offered.

That said though usually such de-optimizations are fairly nominal in real world FPS. I actually had some trouble myself with getting the best scores i could with a 9700pro (once apoun a time when AGP 8x was king) on an nforce chipset. Again though it was a small differance in real world games. You should be just fine...