Sign in with
Your question

OMG PLEASE HELP!! XP INSTALL TROUBLE!

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2008 12:42:40 AM

Hey guys, I'm in deep this time, i have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT TO DO

Ok, so I got my new hard drive, right??
I backed up any files i wanted to keep, then installed the new hard drive.

Next, i used killdisk to wipe the old hard drive. Now I have two perfectly empty hard drives

Next, I put my OEM windows xp pro disk into the cd drive, and begin to try to install xp on the new hard drive.

First, I partitioned the new hard drive with a 50 gb partition (50x1024), and then another partition for the rest of the files. I did this in windows xp setup. Then I partitioned the old hard drive with one big partition.

Next, I formatted the 50gb partition with ntfs (quick). After that it started installing the files.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM: All of a sudden, while it was 14% of the way through, it says setup is missing a file, it was like ias.mb or something. I tell it to retry, it does, and it can't install it. I press escape so that it would skip that file.

When I did that, it started to try to install the next file, but IT WAS MISSING TOO!

Then it gave me the option to retry, skip, or quit setup. I quit setup, reboot my computer, and tried to install XP again fresh. This time, right after it said something about how it was installing "Video Driver" I got the following message: "the file i8042prt.sys is corrupted" and it said to press any key.

What in the world do I do now??? If it helps for you to know, I do have the Ultimate Boot CD, I'm just guessing there might be something useful on there that you guys can recommend.

Otherwise, PLEASE HELP ME!! i WANT TO USE MY COMPUTER AGAIN!

More about : omg install trouble

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
August 2, 2008 12:49:37 AM

Bad CD/DVD drive? Bad OEM disk?

Can you boot up the UBDC?

August 2, 2008 1:06:13 AM

Yes, I can, the ubcd still boots up.

If I just try to boot the computer normally without going to the boot menu, I get this message:

"NTLDR is missing"
below that:
Press CTRL-Alt-Del to restart.

WTH!
Related resources
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2008 1:35:30 AM

My first thought was the same as WR2. CD/DVD drives can sometimes go bad and not read data well.

If the OEM disk is bad that could be a problem. I haven't used UBCD in many years, but there should be some CD checking utility on there.

Sometimes a bad MB can produce the same type of errors as well. In general, it's clearly an I/O problem of some sort :p 
August 3, 2008 12:46:17 PM

Bad Drive or Bad Disk,
Also Run a memtest386 on the RAM, since some files are cached in RAM.

If that all fails try a BIOS update but i doubt it will be that.
!