Amd Overdrive Is Failing for me :(

Iv been trying to oc my 955 be for hours... i have been using the amd overdrive on windows 7 and everytime i try to up the multiplier by .5 (on all 4 cores) it will lock up after clicking apply. i mean it just goes from 3.2 to 3.3... idk if i need to change volts or what? all the 955's iv read have been able to clock to like 3.7 or higher on stock volts... my mobo is the msi 790fx-gd70 which i know has solid oc abilities so im not sure why my pc keeps locking? i have 4gb of 1600 cosair dominator ram with cosair 750tx psu... i know i got the power there, the only thing my pc dont have is a gpu atm... just using a standard vga card till i can afford a new gpu.. would this keep it from working? also when i try the oc knob on the mobo i go from 200mhz to 216mhz(core cpu clock) it freezes also. idk if im suppose to unlock something in bios or what? i havent touched bios there still set to optimized defaults. HELP PLEASE!!!!
3 answers Last reply
More about overdrive failing
  1. slong said:
    Iv been trying to oc my 955 be for hours... i have been using the amd overdrive on windows 7 and everytime i try to up the multiplier by .5 (on all 4 cores) it will lock up after clicking apply. i mean it just goes from 3.2 to 3.3... idk if i need to change volts or what? all the 955's iv read have been able to clock to like 3.7 or higher on stock volts... my mobo is the msi 790fx-gd70 which i know has solid oc abilities so im not sure why my pc keeps locking? i have 4gb of 1600 cosair dominator ram with cosair 750tx psu... i know i got the power there, the only thing my pc dont have is a gpu atm... just using a standard vga card till i can afford a new gpu.. would this keep it from working? also when i try the oc knob on the mobo i go from 200mhz to 216mhz(core cpu clock) it freezes also. idk if im suppose to unlock something in bios or what? i havent touched bios there still set to optimized defaults. HELP PLEASE!!!!

happens with my AMD Overdrive, the issue is the motherboard.

AMD overdrive is not a guaranteed working solution to overclocking, specially if your motherboard is resistant to software overclocking vs manual..

You should do manual bios overclock anyways, it's hella more reliable.
  2. use the bios, IMO software oc is a last ditch effort when you have an OEM computer
  3. yea i just oc from bios.. took a few tries but im pretty sure i got it stable enough to game for hours running at 3.81 :) max temp of 51c under load :)
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Overdrive Overclocking