Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive stopped working

Last response: in Storage
December 24, 2009 5:18:39 PM

I have a toshiba 500g hard drive that stoped working the other day.It's getting power and it sounds if it's not spinning can anything be done with it? There is also a ticking noise coming out of it please help i need to get family photos of it :wahoo: 
December 24, 2009 5:45:42 PM

put it in a freezer bag and freeze it for 1 hour, then take it out ,install it and quick transfer files.
December 25, 2009 5:53:40 PM

lex6 said:
put it in a freezer bag and freeze it for 1 hour, then take it out ,install it and quick transfer files.

thanks very much ill give it a go
Related resources
December 25, 2009 9:14:18 PM

If it is not spinning, there is nothing you can do short of sending it to a data recovery service.

If it's making loud clicking noises and the computer can never get past the BIOS, same answer.

If it's making loud clicking noises and it starts to boot but freezes/crashes, i would advise putting it in another computer and grab the files from there.

Although I've never tried the "freezer" method, I would advise you ONLY to try this once you've given up all hope and you are about to throw the hard drive away.
December 26, 2009 5:38:35 AM

To add to what alphanode has said.

I would also recommend checking on Seagate's or Western Digital's web page to see if its still under warranty. (or who ever made the hard drive)

You will have to pay for shipping and handling also the hassle of packaging it the right way, but for like 5$ you can get one of those shipping boxes at the post office and get a replacement for that price.

So while your data may be gone and your hard drive may be dead, you may qualify for a cheap replacement.

Now lest you think "oh this drive is way over a year old there is no way its covered" most drives have crazy 3-5 year warranties.
December 27, 2009 4:29:24 PM

Thanks guys its just not spinning and its only making a quite ticking noise like a watch or clock. I think ill go the data recovery road. It will teach me a lesson to back it up on another drive.
!