P5N32E-sli plus with Creative X-Fi Fatality

matt18712

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Hi all,

I just purchased a Creative X-Fi Fatlity to upgrade from my external Extigy.
I'm adding the X-Fi to the following system:
Motherboard: Asus P5N32E-SLI Plus (bios 1104)
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6300 @1.86 GHz (stock)
Graphics: XFX 7600GT
Memory: 2x1GB Corsair XMS (DDR2 800)
Harddrives: 2 SATA's

When i install the card and boot up the system fails to POST. It gets past the AI Lifestyle logo but then goes to a black screen with blinking cursor. I can't even enter setup mode in the BIOS, so i know it's not a driver or OS problem.

I have tried disbling on-board sound in the bios, but that didn't help (i really thought that was gonna work)
I tried the other PCI slot, not luck there either.

Any thoughts? Am i missing something here, or did i get a bad card?

Thanks in advance guys.

matt18712

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
uhoh, 21 reads and no reply's... anyone? i don't need gaurunteed solutions, just ideas that i might not have thought of.

mythor20

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Are you able to move your sound card to another slot, if so try that? Are you using the latest Creative drivers? Also check that your SB is seated nicely in the slot and secured properly.

matt18712

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Are you able to move your sound card to another slot, if so try that?
Yes, i have tried both available slots with the same result.

Are you using the latest Creative drivers?
I cannot install drivers if my motherboard will not POST correctly. I am using the latest BIOS for my board.

Also check that your SB is seated nicely in the slot and secured properly.
Yeah, I've checked, it's in all the way.

matt18712

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Still having this problem. I'd really like to get it resolved since my extigy prevents me from upgrading to vista or xp 64 bit. Could it be that adding another PCI-e device requires more power? If that would be the case how do i go about fixing that? I have plenty of power from my PSU, but maybe i'm overloading the rail? ::shrug::

takenra

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Do other cards work in those slots? eg older card or tv tuner card (any thing that fits would do)? Which model of X-fi fatality is it? Have you tried putting the X-fi in another machine to test it?

Adding another card will draw more power on your system but what size PSU do you have at the moment? Unless its really small (or potentially a cheap PSU with very little current on the rails), shouldn't normally have any issues by adding one pci-e card. Your system specs don't seem to show a huge amoutn of hardware. If it helps, I'm running a C2Q q6600 (stock), 4GB RAM, 4 SATA drives RAIDed, 8800GT, TVtuner and an Audigy 2 sound card from a 550W PSU with no problems.

If you can test both the mobo and the card then that will tell you which is giving you the problems.
While I may not have solved you problem, hope this gives you some more ideas