Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Differences in Intel 160GB SSD Drives?

Last response: in Storage
December 24, 2009 10:41:32 PM

So, what is the difference between the Intel SSDSA2M160G2R5 for $549 offered at Newegg and the SSDSA2MH160G2R5 for $479 that is offered at Amazon? I can't seem to find specs at Intel for both.

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
December 24, 2009 11:14:49 PM

The "H" stands for "High Performance". I think the Newegg is probably a typo because the Intel product manual doesn't show any variants of the 160GB X25-M drive that don't have an "H" in the part number.
December 24, 2009 11:25:51 PM

So, Newegg has a typo that removed the "H" and they want $70 more than Amazon? I'm only re-asking because that seems quite amazing to me as a neophyte.
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2009 2:28:36 AM

alphanode said:
I too have gotten confused with all the different model numbers. Here is the official intel website with all the parts listed:

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/apac/eng/produ...

As pointed out by Smimlal every number contains the "H" on the Intel site, so we have to assume that Newegg is confused about model number and price. I'll buy my SSD from Amazon.
m
l
January 4, 2010 3:19:34 PM

check out http://communities.intel.com/message/69677#69677 The post# 7 from an Intel representative states "The H was dropped off the 34nm SSD label. We were required to move to 14 characters on the product and the H did not differientate our drive" <-- this is for the 80GB drive (should be similar for 160GB)
m
l
January 4, 2010 4:09:21 PM

So, why is the Newegg version so expensive compared to Amazon?
m
l
January 7, 2010 4:35:16 PM

Could be that Amazon is using the SSD as a price leader (e.g. lowers the price on one item to get you to shop for that item and a few others). either way if your shopping for the same product, might as well get it at the cheaper location. I like Amazon more here in CA for tax reasons.

-Splints
m
l
January 7, 2010 4:46:35 PM

splinters said:
Could be that Amazon is using the SSD as a price leader (e.g. lowers the price on one item to get you to shop for that item and a few others). either way if your shopping for the same product, might as well get it at the cheaper location. I like Amazon more here in CA for tax reasons.

-Splints

Well, that's possible ... I know Amazon occasionally has really good prices on some items. But given that the price for my total build wishlist at Newegg went up starting a couple of weeks before Christmas and hasn't come back down yet, combined with the issues that seem ongoing with firmware updates for SSDs, I've decided to postpone my new machine until Spring or Summer ... fortunately my current box is plenty adequate for at least another six months.
m
l
!