Sign in with
Your question

What SSD should i get?

Last response: in Storage
December 24, 2009 11:52:27 PM

Ok so i have about $300 to spend on an SSD. The size doesn't really matter as i mainly want to install the OS only on it. What i am looking for is speed. Should i go with the Corsair or Intel ssd, because they seem to have almost equal read/write speeds. Also what architecture is best- MLC or SLC? Suggestions please :D 

EDIT: I am interested in one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : ssd

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
December 25, 2009 5:07:08 AM

To my knowledge Intel is the only SSD manufacturer that has stated the life expectancy of their drives: at least 5 years if you write 20GB/day to the drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 25, 2009 8:07:35 AM

yannifb said:
So do the Intel ones perform better? And what is the difference b/w it and that corsair one.

The Intel ones perform significantly better, especially in random tasks.
m
l
December 25, 2009 2:45:52 PM

Thanks for all the help guys!
m
l
a b G Storage
December 26, 2009 3:42:11 AM

Well, in your case I definatly wouldn't get the 80GB intel SSD. Since you want only your OS to be on it and have 300 to spend, you should get an SLC drive. Reason is, IDK which OS you install but Windows 7, Vista, and XP are all under 8GB installed w/ updates. Vista can be a little larger in some cases from tons of updates. Truthfully, for the OS only, you don't need anything larger then 16-20GB. You still need space for a pagefile and hibernation file which can take up 10GB+ but can be disabled for space gains. An SLC drive is better then a MLC drive in every way, if you find one within your budget, i highly suggest it. If you push out another 80bucks or so, you can get the Intel 32GB SLC drive.
SLC>MLC in these areas:
Faster
Much longer life
Much more writes until cells fail
Faster access times
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
December 26, 2009 5:40:42 AM

Note that Intel's SLC drives (the X25E series) are last year's models - Intel's current-generation SSDs only include MLC drives. Last year's drives do not support TRIM.

I agree that SLC is superior, but it's a lot more costly. For most desktop users, the MLC drives hit the "sweet spot" in terms of giving a huge performance increase over mechanical disks for a cost that's not too prohibitive (although cost sensitivity of course varies for each individual).
m
l
December 26, 2009 6:14:01 AM

sminlal said:
Note that Intel's SLC drives (the X25E series) are last year's models - Intel's current-generation SSDs only include MLC drives. Last year's drives do not support TRIM.

I agree that SLC is superior, but it's a lot more costly. For most desktop users, the MLC drives hit the "sweet spot" in terms of giving a huge performance increase over mechanical disks for a cost that's not too prohibitive (although cost sensitivity of course varies for each individual).

yeah I was looking at those slc drives and they are waaaay out of my budget. What makes them so expensive?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 26, 2009 8:45:10 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
You still need space for a pagefile and hibernation file which can take up 10GB+ but can be disabled for space gains.

Best practice is to disable hibernation if you want to save space unless absolutely required as it takes up as much room as the capacity of your RAM, and move the page file or make it very small if you want to keep it on the SSD.

blackhawk1928 said:
SLC>MLC in these areas:
Faster
Much longer life
Much more writes until cells fail
Faster access times

#2 and #3 are identical ;) 
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:39:32 PM

I have an OCZ Vertex 30gb myself as a boot drive. I have been impressed enough to contemplate a second one for raid. I just have windows 7 and EQ2 installed. Page file/hibernation/system restore/defrag/superfetch all disabled. Using about 20gb of the 30gb available. Sequential reads are about 184 mbs/ Average reads are 192.8mbs. Random Access Times are 0.1ms. Writes are sufficient. And the drive was under 100 bucks after rebate.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
December 26, 2009 2:45:41 PM

yannifb said:
yeah I was looking at those slc drives and they are waaaay out of my budget. What makes them so expensive?
There's two reasons they're more expensive - firstly they're built using last year's technology (I'm referring to the Intel drives here), which means each cell takes up more space on the chip and therefore there are fewer cells on the chips. This raises the cost per GB.

The second reason is that in an SLC flash device, each cell stores only 1 bit of information instead of the 2 bits per cell that are stored in an MLC device. This means that SLC devices only have half the capacity of an equivalent MLC device, and this doubles the cost per GB.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 26, 2009 3:10:18 PM

Wait, jdavis1979 said he had win7 superfetch disabled, is there a reason for this, i have superfetch enabled. What should I do regarding superfetch and why?

Yannifb, actually if you have 300 to spend on an OS-only drive, an SLC is in your budget, Intel is one of the more expensive ones but another brand you can get an SLC drive for under 300. Remember for the OS, you dont need anything larger then 20GB IMO.

Randomizer, BTW I have my hibernation file and Page File completely disabled and deleted and windows 7 works like a charm. And i noticed #2 and #3 are the same, i just wanted to put some emphasis into it lol.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
December 26, 2009 8:19:43 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Remember for the OS, you dont need anything larger then 20GB IMO.
20GB is on the very low end for an OS drive. It really, really depends on what you put on there. For example I install my applications on there because I want more than just fast boot times, I also want Photoshop, my web browser, and all my other applications to start quickly too. Right now my OS drive has about 50GB used.

Again, it depends on your budget, but I'd rather spend the money on a drive with plenty of room now and for the next few years instead of constantly having to micro-manage the space on my OS drive.
m
l
December 26, 2009 11:03:28 PM

Are the non Intel brands on par in terms of speed?
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
December 27, 2009 12:20:03 AM

This article at the Anandtech web site is a good look at the various drives available and the factors to consider.
m
l
December 28, 2009 1:58:55 PM

Just installed a Kingston 40 GB V-Series SSD on my desktop using Win 7 Home Edition 64-bit. I use it as a boot drive. Win 7 performance index raised from 5.9 (with a WD Velociraptor) to 7.1. See following comment: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1111/1/ . CrystalDiskMark performance is similar to that published by Legit. Superb price/performance.
m
l
!