[RESOLVED] new hardware won't load os

tomofv

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
hi

i recently installed an e8500, p5e motherboard and 4gb ddr2. when booting the bios detects everything fine but the xp load screen stays on for about half a minute and automatically restarts. the same thing happens with centos. any ideas?

UPDATE: got an error saying winlogon .exe failed to start

RESOLVED!

tomofv

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
More of an update. I've just put my old MB/CPU/RAM combo back in and it's working fine. As far as I know the new motherboard works fine because I can access most it's features. This leaves me uncertain about the CPU and RAM. All settings are default and have not been tweaked. The HDD isn't corrupted because it's booted again fine using my old combo. I haven't altered any default settings on the motherboard.

What happens is everything will boot correctly, but when either of my OSes begin to start up, they will make so much progress but eventually end up freezing and restarting. Windows occassionally automatically runs CHKDSK which runs fine. But again it will restart and inevitabally freeze.

Anyone else able to help me troubleshoot? Thanks

You didn't specifically say it, but your posts lead me to believe you are trying to boot to the OS which was installed when the old hardware was in the system. Is this the case?

If so, you have to do a new install, the OS is tripping up on the new hardware, because it expects to find the old hardware (motherboard devices). My personal choice is a full re-install, some have gotten away with a repair install, but there is the possibility of leaving some old crud behind that can affect performance or stability afterwards.

I have heard that people have booted an old OS install and then just installed the new motherboard drivers, but I have heard plenty of stories like yours. To me it's just not worth it, do a complete re-install.

dg6464

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
Hey,

^^ Same as above; if you are attempting to use the old hard-drive that can be an issue. Even sometimes when attempting a "full/fresh" reinstall, the system can restart / bluescreen when tryiong to boot the XP CD and load it due to old driver conflicts, and also having an older version of the Service Pack on the CD, than is currently installed on the drive. I would recommend using Maxtor Powermax, or your hard-drive manufacturers given diagnostics tool to do a "quick" low-level format on the hard-drive first (NOTE: YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR DATA!!!). Once this is completed; if you still have issues post back (also post back if you succeed). Depending on the motherboard chipset; the SATA controller may require an "F6" floppy driver to be loaded before the hard-drive is detected, but it does not sound like this is the case anyways because the detected hard-drive being installed with the OS is causing the reboot / blue screen.

Hope this helps.

dg6464

Note: A good all-in-one free CD to download that has most diagnostic tools you will need, and all hard-drive manufacturers diagnostic/formatting tools included (unfortunately Maxtor powermax (my favourite) is gone since the Seagate acquisition...) is the UBCD. Burn it with nero / your burning program, and boot from it. It also has non-manufacturer diagnostic tools that do an even better job of formatting (not required in this case) like Active@Killdisk, or Derek's Boot'nNuke.

tomofv

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
thanks guys. yes it is the case, i am using my old hdd. ive lost my xp cd so ill go buy vista and a new hdd and post my results

tomofv

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
ok still not working. i bought a new samsung hdd and vista hp. when it begins to expand windows files it goes ok for awhile until i get a bsod. what else could it possibly be? im thinking maybe the ram, but its brand new corsair value select.

tomofv

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Well, I've finally fixed it after spending $650 on unnecessary (but not useless) extras. Turns out one of my RAM sticks were stuffed. While I tried using only one of them, I forgot to try using the other by itself. Sure enough, I put the 2nd one into solitude and everything works perfectly.

Thanks all for your support. Hopefully this post will help a googler in the future!

TRENDING THREADS