Strange booting problem

samcool

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I really need some clever input to solve this one I think...

Recently my PC has begun to play tricks on me.... sometimes it just won't boot at all. And I can't identify a clear pattern in it.

Case:
I power up the bastard as usual, and fans and stuff start to "ignite"... but then nothing more. No POST message on the screen, no nothing but a lot of fan noice.
No matter what I seem to do, it just won't go any further.
No signal to the screen
(I have discovered that theres apparently no power to the DVD when this happens, as it not possible to open the drive (nore did the LED flash during startup))I have tried to disassemble the PC, taking out all cards, the HDD, DVD, RAM a.s.o. and reconnecting it, without that making any change at all.

Then, when I have been patient for a while (sometimes 10 mins, sometimes several hours), and tries to power up again, the system starts with no problems at all!?

I haven't done anything to the system (added hardware, reinstalled OS or similar that could explain why) the problem just showed it's ugly face one day.

It doesn't make any sence to me... Please help...

ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe
AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
2GB OCZ PC3200 400MHz RAM
OCZ GameXStream 700W SLI Power
Creative SB X-FI Extrememusic
Sata HDD, DVD
Running Vista Ultimate (when it runs that is)

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
LOL at the terms. I don't call it bastard, but rather, mofo. Just fixed a no post for a friend. Turned out to be the ram.

Clear cmos for 10 mins, try each stick of ram in each slot, once pc posts, set up ram in bios.

If no luck, strip it to barebone on the mobo box with only the mobo, cpu, ram & gpu. keyb & lcd, of course. Do the same as above.