PRIME95 Failure - VCORE issue?

iantosca

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Ok. I have read through a lot of the information listed in the forums, but I must be missing something.

Core i7 920 D0
Asetek LCLC
6BG DDR3 1333mhz
EVGA x58 LE SLI

I have set my BCLK to 180 to reach 3.6ghz - I have left turbo enabled so it does reach slightly over 3.7ghz
I set my memory timings to 7-7-7-19 (stock) - I leave DRAMM at 1.5v
I set VCORE to 1.25v
I set the memory to 2:6

I figured that at 2:6 I am 1080mhz, which is safely under 1333mhz. If I run it at 2:8 I am at 1440mhz, which is above my memory settings.

Everything loads fine, but as soon as I start PRIME95 blend I get memory dumping. I am thinking maybe my VCORE needs to be slightly higher, but I have heard D0's running at higher than 3.6ghz at 1.25v.

What I really want to know is, what am I missing? Is it just that my VCORE is probably too low? I leave everything else on auto. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You!

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Try it and see what happens?
That's how overclocking works, every chip is different.

If it doesn't make a difference put it back down and look for something else. Lots of other settings too, but Vcore is always the first one I try (just don't get too silly, and keep an eye on temperature using RealTemp or something)

iantosca

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Yeah. I am going to mess around with it. The temps so far have not been an issue. I see that my RAM is 1.7v RAM, but in BIOS its set at 1.5v. I am assuming I can make it 1.65v stable, but .... for some reason in the BIOS anything above like 1.6v has a green color to it. I'm trying to figure out what that means.

lasting_omen

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
The colors in the MOBO bios are just a safety measure to let you know you are pushing voltage beyond classic "norms" as a measure of protection as overclocking quiclky can viod a factory warranty. MOBO's will generally set up ram at its lower settings unless your ram has EPP profiles, and you specify them in the BIOS. I suggest manually setting your ram to its rated settings, timings and voltage, leaving the command rate, and any setting you don't have a number for at auto. Run Prime95 at stock CPU speeds, then increase CPU speed gradually to determine the exact cause of the error.