Need help to OC my memory

BredByAliens

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I just installed the new AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE, OCZ Stealth X Stream 700W power supply and a Zalman CNPS9900 LED heatsink and fan with Artic Silver Ceramique thermal compound in an Antec 300 case. i dont have the 3 optional 120mm fans but im getting them soon. i also have 2x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 8500/1066MHz with triple fan and im running Vista 64bit. i have AMD Overdrive but ive been informed to do all my OC'ing in the BIOS. i have Asus M4A78-EM with newest BIOS 1006. the BIOS only lets me change the speed to 533MHz x 2 = 1066MHz. im not sure where to start. i am very new at this. ive read that people make small changes and then run a stability test. the only stability test ive seen is in AMD Overdrive. i'm trying to get my memory OC'd to 1200MHz, the highest my mobo can handle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TY,

- Bred By Aliens

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
You won't see any real world performance increase from overclocking your ram. You'll see changes in RAM specific benchmarks, but that's it. You're better off trying an overclock on that shiny new processor.

BredByAliens

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

ty. ill leave the memory alone and im gonna OC my shiny new cpu. LOL. i know it has good capabilities for OC'ing.

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Yes, leave the memory overclocking alone. You've asked where to start and it appears the processor is running stock. Is this correct?

If so, you'd best read one of the guides, but generally because you have a BE so you can just go with increasing the multiplier to get a quick overclock in a short amount of time.

Before doing that, go into your BIOS, Advanced menu, then Jumperfree Configuration. You will find Memory Clock Mode and it looks like it's set at 1066MHz for now, or Auto. Drop it down to 800 or 677, however low you can go.

In the same section (the Jumperfree Configuration section) the first option is called CPU Overclocking and is on Auto. You can now set it to Manual and try a few things.

Again, read one of the guides first. Good luck and watch for the smoke.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Also make sure to get a CPU temperature monitor, AMD Overdrive is great for AMD processors only.
Speedfan is also an okay one, but takes a lot of resources. Make sure your CPU is lower then 40C when idle, and no higher then 60C under full load.