After i7 first generation – There is change in mobo socket ?

craige4u

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I have read that after i7 OR for the next generation of new i7 processors the sockets are entirely diff., so that means again buying new mobo to fit tht new processor…

So is this true?

Can anybody put sum light for the next releases of i7 and its motherboard socket ?

PS: I am asking this as if there will be new socket coming in say next 10months, then I better buy a new system on old P45, as I was thinking on going with i7+X58 only so that even if I upgrade in say next 2years I can use the same motherboard as the socket will be same for the next all processors.

roxxor

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
craige4u -

the answer is yes. some of intel's new architectures will use different sockets than the first generation i7. socket 1366 will have at least one new arch. to run (Westmere). intel has indicated they may artificially delay the release of sandy bridge to ensure nehalem users feel like they got their money's worth. they also claim their new lineup is intended to eliminate confusion (right) between products.

ultimately, this is a marketing/business strategy to increase profits in an industry that is greatly suffereing from the poor economy. things are still a bit up in the air as far as what's going to happen to 1366...

my advice would be to buy what you want. pc's aren't futureproof; they are appliances like a toaster or microwave. when it stops toasting or microwaving, you need a new one. the current i7 920 is a good buy for the money as it outperforms the core2quads. if you're looking for extreme gaming, core2duo with a waterblock! of course, with the i5/i7 press date coming up next week, i'd wait the few days just to see what happens to the pricing.

chunkymoster -

you didn't answer the question and your non-answer was less than polite. looking for the answer on google, etc. will yeild an mountain of articles about related topics, but your response is the number one hit for "i7 socket change". and sorting through the press releases and speculation can be difficult to find an answer.

- roxxor

My "non-answer" is negated by your replying to a thread that is almost a year old! And, not for nothing but if the OP had taken a moment and the least amount of initiative, he would have not needed to create to ask this question to begin with.

Hint for you roxxor, check the thread dates, as they say sometimes it's better to let sleeping threads lie. Nothing like raising the dead...