Sign in with
Your question

Need urgent help with my rig!

Last response: in CPUs
October 11, 2008 1:38:52 AM

Hi, this is a very general question, and doesen't fit any of the forums here. But basically, I've picked all the parts for my gaming PC and triple checked that they work with each other, but I just want to make sure they all work together, and you guys are my best bet. Here's the rig:

General Rig:
Case: CMS 932 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo: EVGA 780i http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Quad Core Q9550 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: Triple XFX GTX 280 XXX edition in tri-SLI http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

RAM: GSKILL 8GB DDR2-800 (2x4gb sticks) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite... OR OCZ platinum 8GB DDR2-800 (4x2gb sticks) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or really any DDR2-800 sticks, haven't decided yet

Hard Drive: 1x 300GB WD Velociraptor 10k RPM HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product
/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136260

PSU: 1250w CMS REAL POWER PRO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD-ROM: Any LITE-ON 48X drive, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Card Reader: Do I need one of these? Whats it for? Anyway, heres a good one I found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Other components:

CPU cooler: arctic cooling freezer 7 pro 92mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooling System: Case cooling + as many 120mm fans as I can fit, such as these http://www.newegg.com/Product
/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006

Monitor: Samsung 305T 30" monitor http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

Speakers: Any good quality 5.1 speaker set, such as these logitech G51 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS: Vista Ultimate 64-bit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So basically, I have 2 questions:

1) Will this setup work? By work I mean, will I be able to turn it on, run it well etc with all these parts, or is there something that wont fit?

2) Have I forgotten any parts?

Thanks a bunch if you can answer this.

More about : urgent rig

October 11, 2008 1:53:56 AM

Well there is actually a section....its called Homebuilt see it right below Motherboards

1) Yes
2) No

all done, I would recommend changes but ur too ignorant to listen based on ur last posts

EDIT: If u do want to listen for once...u might want a RW drive. The one u have reads, unless u never burn a DVD or CD then ur fine but i doubt it
October 11, 2008 2:03:07 AM

you are going to spend over a thousand dollars on a PC that will take tons of work to properly build and setup, and you are wondering what a CARD READER IS?!?!?!?!
*sigh*
it reads the cards from your camera and phone. You use it to transfer and store files onto previously said devices.

Good luck...
Related resources
October 11, 2008 2:07:09 AM

Silverion77 said:
Well there is actually a section....its called Homebuilt see it right below Motherboards

1) Yes
2) No

all done, I would recommend changes but ur too ignorant to listen based on ur last posts

EDIT: If u do want to listen for once...u might want a RW drive. The one u have reads, unless u never burn a DVD or CD then ur fine but i doubt it

I dont think I'll need to burn, I just use itunes and an ipod. So am I good to go?
October 11, 2008 2:08:19 AM

customisbetter said:
you are going to spend over a thousand dollars on a PC that will take tons of work to properly build and setup, and you are wondering what a CARD READER IS?!?!?!?!
*sigh*
it reads the cards from your camera and phone. You use it to transfer and store files onto previously said devices.

Good luck...

Because I know a lot about cpus/gpus/ram etc, but not small things like DVD-R drives and card readers. But since its only $30, I guess I'll get one, just in case I put music on my phone or ever get a camera.
October 11, 2008 2:09:28 AM

customisbetter said:
*sigh*

Good luck...

Btw, over a thousand dollars?

Accessories included, this is almost $5k
October 11, 2008 2:12:04 AM

If you don't know the difference between ROM and RW, i highly doubt you are qualified to build a computer. No offense to you personally, i'm just sayin'.
And my statement about the price is still correct.
October 11, 2008 2:14:21 AM

I think that the build is an awful lot of money, but it seems like fine choices if you want to spend that kind of $$$. If it were me, I'd get a slightly less intense rig and save some for upgrades/new rigs in the future.

You may want to look into the differences between 4gb and 8gb of RAM. Unless you shut of page file, or do a lot of multi-tasking (we're talking about major) with many memory intense apps, the extra 4gb is overkill.

I'm not sure why you need a Velociraptor - the performance gain is nothing significant for the excessive cost. You can get slightly slower performance for $75-80 with the WD 640 gb HDD.

There are better CPU coolers out there. Check www.frostytech.com for some help.

I'm not sure why you need a 30" monitor, but good for you to be able to afford one, and to be able to afford the 3 high-end GPUs to use it.

You're going to need to shell out some serious money on power bills to run that rig too.

Have fun. Good luck.
October 11, 2008 2:28:09 AM

Like me and others told you before, your wasting your money, and DELETED you dont know the difference between DVD rom and DVD-r , or what a card reader is.

I promise you, you will not get the rig running by yourself, and after you pay someone to fix your problem, you will be disappointed in the performance you get for the money you spend.
October 11, 2008 2:38:29 AM

huron said:
I think that the build is an awful lot of money, but it seems like fine choices if you want to spend that kind of $$$. If it were me, I'd get a slightly less intense rig and save some for upgrades/new rigs in the future.

You may want to look into the differences between 4gb and 8gb of RAM. Unless you shut of page file, or do a lot of multi-tasking (we're talking about major) with many memory intense apps, the extra 4gb is overkill.

I'm not sure why you need a Velociraptor - the performance gain is nothing significant for the excessive cost. You can get slightly slower performance for $75-80 with the WD 640 gb HDD.

I'm not sure why you need a 30" monitor, but good for you to be able to afford one, and to be able to afford the 3 high-end GPUs to use it.

You're going to need to shell out some serious money on power bills to run that rig too.

Have fun. Good luck.

Like I say every thread, just answer the question, I'm building my PC with what I want as long as it runs, which is what I made this thread for.
October 11, 2008 2:41:30 AM

Well the sad news for you, is its not gonna run.
October 11, 2008 2:45:21 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
Well the sad news for you, is its not gonna run.

And which part(s) isnt compatible?
October 11, 2008 2:46:43 AM

The part that is in between the chair and the keyboard!
October 11, 2008 2:48:47 AM

huron said:

Have fun. Good luck.

And to be nice, even though I should curse at everyone who asks this question for the 50th time...

1) 8GB for future-proofing.
2)10k rpm>7.2k rpm, and I want fast loads
3)30" monitor for 2560x1600, as 3 gtx 280s at any lower resolution on games other than crysis would just be 100s of needless fps
4) Chose that cpu cooler because of the 2.4k+ reviews it got, and over 1/2 of them being 5/5
October 11, 2008 2:49:09 AM

PEBKAC ALERT!!!
October 11, 2008 2:50:41 AM

roadrunner197069 said:

Look, if you're not going to help me, then just dont go on my threads.

FYI, this is the last question I have before I order all the parts, so I'll be gone for good.

Happy?

Now either help or gtfo.
October 11, 2008 2:52:53 AM

With that kind of money and no common sense or experience, you should buy from Alinware or HP blackbird. Atleast it will work and you will have a warranty.

There I helped.
October 11, 2008 2:53:30 AM

YES HES GONE

**insert Hallelujah song**

And i agree w/ roadrunner +1
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2008 2:54:42 AM

I see you finally gave up on trying to put a Xi-Fi card in there :pt1cable:  . You know, some of the Asus Strikers have a PCI-E slot at the top for their supreme FX audio, so it may be possible to put the Xi-Fi in there. There's also this EVGA board that has a top most PCI-E slot, good luck getting the Creative card to fit though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good luck
October 11, 2008 2:57:43 AM

megamanx00 said:
I see you finally gave up on trying to put a Xi-Fi card in there :pt1cable:  . You know, some of the Asus Strikers have a PCI-E slot at the top for their supreme FX audio, so it may be possible to put the Xi-Fi in there. There's also this EVGA board that has a top most PCI-E slot, good luck getting the Creative card to fit though

Good luck

The pansy can't afford DDR3, his piggy bank is dry.

LOL, he will be pissed as soon as Nvidia releases the 290GTXs and the 260x2s that are in the works.
October 11, 2008 3:07:07 AM

megamanx00 said:

Good luck

Right, but its 790i so I'd need more expensive for no good reason DDR3. Plus, tons of people said onboard sound on the newer nvidia boards is great, so I guess I'm good.

If I dont like the sound quality, hopefully I can return the mobo and RAM though.

Does the rig work?
October 11, 2008 3:16:59 AM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
And to be nice, even though I should curse at everyone who asks this question for the 50th time...

1) 8GB for future-proofing.
2)10k rpm>7.2k rpm, and I want fast loads
3)30" monitor for 2560x1600, as 3 gtx 280s at any lower resolution on games other than crysis would just be 100s of needless fps
4) Chose that cpu cooler because of the 2.4k+ reviews it got, and over 1/2 of them being 5/5

Maybe I'm confused, but I didn't see anyone ask the same question.

The 8GB thing - it won't "future proof." There are studies that show that 8GB will actually slow some performance vs 4GB, and the vast majority of the time, it shows no improvement at all.

10k drives are only slightly faster. There are some benchmarks out there that show it is not all the apparent, and it's more of a marketing gimmick. If you want really fast, you could easily RAID.

I understood about the 30" monitor. That's why the comment was it must be nice to be able to get one and put those GPUs in it to use it.

The CPU cooler gets beat pretty handily by plenty of others. If there are so many reviews, it's often because it's slightly older. Currently, the Xigmatek is a good choice. If you go and look around at the benchmarks and reviews, you'll see there are quite a few coolers that are at the top of the list, and often cost the same or less. Also, I'm not so sure I would put all that much weight into newegg reviewers...sometimes you get people with knowledge, but half the time people will review products they never owned, and many review and don't have a clue of what they are talking about.

Anyway, make the choices you want. I don't think you really wanted our advice anyway. Enjoy the rig. Good luck putting it together. Have fun gaming.
October 11, 2008 3:47:37 AM

huron said:
Maybe I'm confused, but I didn't see anyone ask the same question.

The 8GB thing - it won't "future proof." There are studies that show that 8GB will actually slow some performance vs 4GB, and the vast majority of the time, it shows no improvement at all.

10k drives are only slightly faster. There are some benchmarks out there that show it is not all the apparent, and it's more of a marketing gimmick. If you want really fast, you could easily RAID.

I understood about the 30" monitor. That's why the comment was it must be nice to be able to get one and put those GPUs in it to use it.

The CPU cooler gets beat pretty handily by plenty of others. If there are so many reviews, it's often because it's slightly older. Currently, the Xigmatek is a good choice. If you go and look around at the benchmarks and reviews, you'll see there are quite a few coolers that are at the top of the list, and often cost the same or less. Also, I'm not so sure I would put all that much weight into newegg reviewers...sometimes you get people with knowledge, but half the time people will review products they never owned, and many review and don't have a clue of what they are talking about.

Anyway, make the choices you want. I don't think you really wanted our advice anyway. Enjoy the rig. Good luck putting it together. Have fun gaming.

first of all, does the rig work or not and am i missing any parts?

how are stock cpu coolers? not good enough?

since raid 0 apparently doesent apply to anything besides synthetics, best thing is velociraptor for me.

no, I didnt want your advice. you probably havent noticed, but every god damn post I make people troll on and on about my gtx 280s or every minor thing they can find. excuse me if I only even found out what a freakin GPU was 2 weeks ago. I've barely ever even used my PC. I think I learned enough from simple browsing.

Also, one thing nobody realizes. Yes, 3 gtx 280s and a 30" monitor is nice. Everyone cries about how I'm spoiled.

Well, I'm gonna say this the 10th and last time.

I've been sitting on a terrible PC since 03. I'm typing this on it atm. P4 2.8 ghz is the best thing about it. 512mb ram, 80gb 5.4k HDD, geforce mx 440, 15" monitor. But I've saved up $ while having to pay for college and now I'll be moving houses and want the absolute best gaming performance I can get atm without paying insane amounts, and since GPU is most important, I want the best of the best. I dont plan to upgrade. It kinda sucks not even being able to run CSS.
October 11, 2008 3:55:49 AM

I'm excited that you've saved your money and want to spend it on this. Good for you. I hope you enjoy it.

By the way, you have to realize that some of us didn't know that story you told in your last post. It's not like we all spend time looking up all of your posts.

Like it has been suggested, be careful because the Tri-SLI drivers have been weird, and may cause a loss in performance (currently - should improve with new drivers).

Yes, everything will work. There should not be a bottleneck. If you don't want to OC, the stock cooler is fine. If you want to OC, check out the Xigmatek with the retention bracket. If you are set on the current cooler, get it. It's really up to you.

If you are looking for a good drive for data, I would suggest the Western Digital 640 GB - it's a great drive - only 2 platters - fast, and a good price per GB (only $75-80).

Honestly, enjoy your rig. I don't think you ought to let everyone get you mad. Just enjoy what you have saved for, enjoy putting it together (I think that's the best part), and have fun gaming.
October 11, 2008 3:58:09 AM

Spend your 5K and I will spend 2k next month on a I7 and blow you away.
October 11, 2008 4:00:49 AM

Oh yeah...a lot of us are honestly here to help you. That's why we come here and make suggestions. I'm sorry you apparently have had such a bad experience here with some people, but many of us have no idea why you are so upset until you stated it there in your last post.

Take it easy on us. We're just trying to help - isn't that why everyone comes here - to get advice?

Take care. Have fun. Enjoy your new computer.
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2008 4:03:32 AM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
first of all, does the rig work or not and am i missing any parts?

how are stock cpu coolers? not good enough?

since raid 0 apparently doesent apply to anything besides synthetics, best thing is velociraptor for me.

no, I didnt want your advice. you probably havent noticed, but every god damn post I make people troll on and on about my gtx 280s or every minor thing they can find. excuse me if I only even found out what a freakin GPU was 2 weeks ago. I've barely ever even used my PC. I think I learned enough from simple browsing.

Also, one thing nobody realizes. Yes, 3 gtx 280s and a 30" monitor is nice. Everyone cries about how I'm spoiled.

Well, I'm gonna say this the 10th and last time.

I've been sitting on a terrible PC since 03. I'm typing this on it atm. P4 2.8 ghz is the best thing about it. 512mb ram, 80gb 5.4k HDD, geforce mx 440, 15" monitor. But I've saved up $ while having to pay for college and now I'll be moving houses and want the absolute best gaming performance I can get atm without paying insane amounts, and since GPU is most important, I want the best of the best. I dont plan to upgrade. It kinda sucks not even being able to run CSS.

Well you need to decide what lies you are going to stick with.

From another thread posted today

Quote:
Freezer pro 7.

Cheap, great and many reviews, and its great with my OC'D Q9550 so you're good to go.

Just search cpu cooler on newegg, its the one with 2400 or so reviews.

a b à CPUs
October 11, 2008 4:18:34 AM

one more from tonight

UltimaSlayerVII said:
Uh, no. I7 is insanely overhyped, especially by gamers. Why do you wait for it so badly, CPUs almost never matter in games, with RTS being the obvious exception, but I get by perfectly with a Q9550.

Worry more about your GPU.

October 11, 2008 4:19:09 AM

huron said:
I'm excited that you've saved your money and want to spend it on this. Good for you. I hope you enjoy it.

By the way, you have to realize that some of us didn't know that story you told in your last post. It's not like we all spend time looking up all of your posts.

Like it has been suggested, be careful because the Tri-SLI drivers have been weird, and may cause a loss in performance (currently - should improve with new drivers).

Yes, everything will work. There should not be a bottleneck. If you don't want to OC, the stock cooler is fine. If you want to OC, check out the Xigmatek with the retention bracket. If you are set on the current cooler, get it. It's really up to you.

If you are looking for a good drive for data, I would suggest the Western Digital 640 GB - it's a great drive - only 2 platters - fast, and a good price per GB (only $75-80).

Honestly, enjoy your rig. I don't think you ought to let everyone get you mad. Just enjoy what you have saved for, enjoy putting it together (I think that's the best part), and have fun gaming.

Thanks. Finally some help in this hellhole. I saw some benchmarks way back when gtx 280s were first released and the two triple gtx 280s test I could find had phenomenal scaling in crysis and cod4, my 2 main games. And drivers can only improve I'm guessing.

And it kind of makes sense if you take the best single gpu, and get 3 of them, it cant get better

Putting it together will suck for me because I'm always afraid of screwing up. Only reason i dont buy a build-to-order PC is because I wouldnt have been able to afford a 30" monitor and some other things if I didnt build it myself.
October 11, 2008 4:32:15 AM

Best single gpu?!?! do u mean single card....or single processor?
October 11, 2008 4:45:42 AM

roadrunner197069 said:

Lol, good one
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2008 6:39:34 AM

UltimaSlayerVII said:

College?

Hmm...

Quote:
...because my hands are far from big (14 years old)

(from over here)

This isn't helping your "I'm not spoiled" argument at all...
October 11, 2008 6:43:00 AM

Hes got a post in every single forum up here. Why havnt the mods banned this guy yet? He is obviously a spamming troll doing this for amusement.

10 threads in CPU and Components.
4 threads in Overclocking
7 threads in Motherboards & Memory
1 thread in Homebuilt
2 threads in Storage
2 threads in Graphics and Displays
3 in Computer Peripherals

All about the same.....damn.....thing.

a b à CPUs
October 11, 2008 7:52:44 AM

Quite an expensive rig for a 14-year-old. As Arnold would put it: "Who's your daddy, and what does he do?"
October 11, 2008 8:52:34 AM

With 3 280s I'd really consider a better cpu to get the best out of them.
There should be new cards out soon,you could buy through evga or someone with a step-up programme just in case.Maybe a storage hard drive of some desription.I can see why a few people have been getting annoyed with you - you come accross as being a bit of knob.
October 11, 2008 3:16:48 PM

Hes 14 and in COLLEGE OMG :o  and i thought i was smart in school

Dude u deserve this PC
October 11, 2008 4:14:04 PM

Silverion77 said:
Hes 14 and in COLLEGE OMG :o  and i thought i was smart in school

Dude u deserve this PC

I'm 14, but I have to work and save up for college because my parents don't make that much money.

I'm not in college, but I have to save almost all my $ towards college, but I still want this PC really badly so I saved some on the side.
October 11, 2008 4:14:54 PM

randomizer said:
Quite an expensive rig for a 14-year-old. As Arnold would put it: "Who's your daddy, and what does he do?"

I make my own money. I work.
October 11, 2008 4:59:58 PM

I work? dont u need to be 15 at least for first working permit and still ppl generally dont hire till ur 16
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2008 5:07:22 PM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
I'm 14, but I have to work and save up for college because my parents don't make that much money.

I'm not in college, but I have to save almost all my $ towards college, but I still want this PC really badly so I saved some on the side.

What kind of job can you get at 14 where you can save up $5k on the side while also saving enough money for college? Last I checked, they don't pay 14 year olds $20/hr or anything like that.
October 11, 2008 5:15:27 PM

Most state 14 year olds cant get a real job and can only work limited hours as well.

I've seen posts like these before where they pick out all the most expensive parts to get someone to envy them, and it always backfire.
October 11, 2008 5:18:29 PM

^^^ agreed

Kid if u are 14 and this is real (god forbid) then ur foolish and wasting ur savings. Seriously learn how to think logically.
In 6 months a new card will come out. It will be $400 and beat 3 GTX 280s. and then ull cry. So seriously save urself the emotional distress
October 11, 2008 5:24:02 PM

Classic. This thread should be sticked, then printed and framed on the all.
October 11, 2008 5:27:53 PM

Its like Justinextreme anyone read that thread in Homebuild HAHAHA

Bet u its the same guy
!