Sign in with
Your question

Attempted to install CD/DVD now my computer wont start

Last response: in Storage
December 25, 2009 5:48:31 PM

My CD/DVD drive stopped working. I turned my notebook over and removed the screw that holds-in the drive. Then I slid the drive out and inserted a replacement. Now my notebook wont start. When I press the power button the screen remains blank. It used to say Intel and list 4 options, Enter BIOS Setup etc. Now the screen remains blank. A blue light on the system board that indicates hard disk access blinks twice, and after that the only light left on is the Power light. :sweat: 
What should I do?

KC

Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 25, 2009 8:37:20 PM

It's not quite clear whether you removed the bare CD drive from a caddy and put in a replacement CD drive.

Or whether you just slipped in a new caddy that seemed to fit.

Even if you did the first -- the replacement bare drive may not be recognised by the BIOS unless it's an identical model -- laptop makers have a habit of doing annoying things like that.

Finally, if you remove the caddy does the computer start normally.
m
l
December 26, 2009 8:10:18 AM

just to add to the first replier - if you replace the original drive what happens?
m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2009 4:09:26 PM

Quote:
It's not quite clear whether you removed the bare CD drive from a caddy and put in a replacement CD drive.

Or whether you just slipped in a new caddy that seemed to fit.

Even if you did the first -- the replacement bare drive may not be recognised by the BIOS unless it's an identical model -- laptop makers have a habit of doing annoying things like that.

Finally, if you remove the caddy does the computer start normally.

Thak you for taking the time to reply to me.

I have removed the optical CD/DVD Rewritable drive from the notebook. When I press the Start button on the notebook noting appears on the screen. The electrical connection light is on. The disk access light blinks twice.

The way this situation developed is I could not access the optical drive. Event Viewer reported an error. I called the supplier and they sent a replacement drive, but it was the wrong part. It appeared to be the right part, When I tried to install it the connector on the back of the optical drive would not go into the slot. Then I read the model number and discovered one letter was different. It was the wrong optical drive. I called the supplier back and they sent the correct drive. I installed it but the computer doesn't srtart.

I wonder what is behind the optical drive that I might have disturbed. When you press the power button what is the next thing that happens. There must be cables. Could be one is disconnected?
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 26, 2009 5:00:42 PM

You still have not made it clear whether you changed the caddy or the drive in the caddy.

It's feasible that inserting the wrong drive (or caddy) damaged a connector. Possibly the supplier is responsible for repair, assuming you asked for the correct part.
m
l
December 26, 2009 10:15:05 PM

Quote:
You still have not made it clear whether you changed the caddy or the drive in the caddy.

It's feasible that inserting the wrong drive (or caddy) damaged a connector. Possibly the supplier is responsible for repair, assuming you asked for the correct part.

Sorry I don't know what you mean by caddy. I am referring to an optical drive not the media that you insert in it. It dows not come with a holder. It slides into a slot on the side of the notebook. Turn the notebook over and there is a screw that fastens the optical drive to the notebook. .

KC
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 27, 2009 8:15:33 AM

"It slides into a slot on the side of the notebook."

It's a bare drive in a caddy. So presumably the new drive was in the wrong kind of caddy and maybe the connector was damaged when you tried to insert it. Thus the problem.

I'd ask again, does the computer start and run if you remove the DVD drive ?

And as another post asked, if you put in the drive that was originally supplied with the computer (assuming you still have it) what happens ?

Incidentally you are right in your comment about optical drives -- the early ones used media (recordable disc) in a caddy. But that's so long ago that the term generally now applies to the containers which laptop manufacturers often use so
that hard drives, floppy drives and CD/DVD drives can be removed easily.
m
l
December 27, 2009 12:31:29 PM

Quote:
"It slides into a slot on the side of the notebook."

It's a bare drive in a caddy. So presumably the new drive was in the wrong kind of caddy and maybe the connector was damaged when you tried to insert it. Thus the problem.

I'd ask again, does the computer start and run if you remove the DVD drive ?

And as another post asked, if you put in the drive that was originally supplied with the computer (assuming you still have it) what happens ?

Incidentally you are right in your comment about optical drives -- the early ones used media (recordable disc) in a caddy. But that's so long ago that the term generally now applies to the containers which laptop manufacturers often use so
that hard drives, floppy drives and CD/DVD drives can be removed easily.

Hi Fihart,

There is no caddy used with the optical drive in my notebook.

I just finished reinstalling the original opticsl drive. The notebook didn't start. The electrical connection light goes on, the disk access light blinks twice, then stops. I pressed the Bluetooth hot key and the Bluetooth communications light lit. I left the notebook on overnight and the battery recharged.

Sometimes I jump start my car. I realize that in this case lack of electricity is not the problem, but is there a way to jump over what ever happens when you press the Start button and go directly to Master Boot Block?

KC

m
l
!