Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

680i and Upgrading

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 10, 2008 7:43:19 PM

have a 680i right now and I am looking to possibly upgrade. With it I have an e6600 cpu and a Geforce 8800gts. Im thinking of upgrading either to a e8500 or a quad q6600. Will there be a real performance difference? Trying to decide if the price for performance would really be worth it. For the video card thinking of getting 2 nvidia 9800 gt to run SLI. Although still not sure. I have also heaard the Radeon 4850's are a good card to get.

Someone else was talking in another thread that the I7's are coming out and maybe to wait for those. Just not sure what to do. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

More about : 680i upgrading

November 10, 2008 8:19:36 PM

spacehog said:
have a 680i right now and I am looking to possibly upgrade. With it I have an e6600 cpu and a Geforce 8800gts. Im thinking of upgrading either to a e8500 or a quad q6600. Will there be a real performance difference? Trying to decide if the price for performance would really be worth it. For the video card thinking of getting 2 nvidia 9800 gt to run SLI. Although still not sure. I have also heaard the Radeon 4850's are a good card to get.

Someone else was talking in another thread that the I7's are coming out and maybe to wait for those. Just not sure what to do. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

are upgrading your mobo? or your cpu? you have the post in the mobo section but you didnt mention it in your post. but you mention upgrading your e6600. well i have a q6600 and love it but the o/c is crippled with the 680i chipset, so if your looking to upgrade your mobo and cpu then i would get a q6600 and a mobo with a p45 chipset (thats what i have).
regarding the i7, yes they are coming out soon but they are gonna be EXPENSIVE and the quad cpus price should drop so i would get q6600,but thats just my opinion.
and yes there should be a performance increase due to the added two cores but make sure you pai that a6600 with a good mobo.

i hope everything i said helped, i will try to help you as much as i can, i will be looking foward to your reply and try to help you out as much as i can
November 10, 2008 9:46:46 PM

Thanks. I guess it is in the wrong area technically. I'm not looking to O/C anything. My motherboard is the EVGA 680i I got almost 2 years ago. The reason I got it, was because it seemed at the time I would be able to upgrade the CPU and eventually get another video card for SLI. Now of course I can't find my video card to pair up so I decided to start looking at different upgrades on the motherboard. I was just curious how much performance increase there would be and if it was worth the almost $200 dollars to upgrade to a q6600. They also have some of the newer e8500 chips that supposedly run on the 45nm which through bios upgrades I hear my 680i will run. The e8500 you can get for a similar cost to a q6600. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if there will be that much of a jump in performance from my e6600 to either of those other chips. I'd like what ever I do to last another couple years.
Related resources
November 11, 2008 2:41:36 AM

spacehog said:
Thanks. I guess it is in the wrong area technically. I'm not looking to O/C anything. My motherboard is the EVGA 680i I got almost 2 years ago. The reason I got it, was because it seemed at the time I would be able to upgrade the CPU and eventually get another video card for SLI. Now of course I can't find my video card to pair up so I decided to start looking at different upgrades on the motherboard. I was just curious how much performance increase there would be and if it was worth the almost $200 dollars to upgrade to a q6600. They also have some of the newer e8500 chips that supposedly run on the 45nm which through bios upgrades I hear my 680i will run. The e8500 you can get for a similar cost to a q6600. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if there will be that much of a jump in performance from my e6600 to either of those other chips. I'd like what ever I do to last another couple years.

i cant say the exact performance increase, however there will be. i would get a q6600 (like i said there should be a price drop due to the new EXPENSIVE corei7 coming out very soon) it has an extra 2 processing cores (2x2.4 e6600, 4x2.4 q6600) or what you can do if your looking to upgrade your video card, stick with the e6600 and get a new video card (either 1 good one or 2 cheaper ones that outperform 1 good one, example: 2 9800 gtx+ will out perform one gtx 260) however there is one slight problem with running sli, your psu must be strong enough, so for future references go to nvidia.com and check the psu requirements for your 2 cards you want.

kinda got off topic but i hope any of that helped

(i hope my spelling errors in my first post didnt confuse you)
November 11, 2008 1:05:33 PM

Nope makes perfect sense. I think I am going to get one GTX 260 right now, and then when the price drops some get another for sli and then maybe get the quad core. Thanks for the help.
November 11, 2008 1:07:54 PM

spacehog said:
Nope makes perfect sense. I think I am going to get one GTX 260 right now, and then when the price drops some get another for sli and then maybe get the quad core. Thanks for the help.

your welcome, i own a gtx 260 and its well worth the $250
November 11, 2008 2:31:32 PM

If your 680i is working good, youll be in good shape. The E6600 will easily run a single 260 with no bottlenecking. However I would look at getting an e8XXX instead of a Q6600 as you will get more performance for your dollar if you dont plan on overclocking. The E8XXX chip will also overclock alot better on a 680i than a Q6600 if you ever do go that route.

Yes, I know i7 is coming, and everyone thinks the older chips are going to drop in price a ton. I dont see the E8400 and Q6600 dropping that much. They already pretty much own anything AMD has, unfortunately, so Intel really has no reason to sell them cheap.
November 11, 2008 2:56:51 PM

Kaldor said:
If your 680i is working good, youll be in good shape. The E6600 will easily run a single 260 with no bottlenecking. However I would look at getting an e8XXX instead of a Q6600 as you will get more performance for your dollar if you dont plan on overclocking. The E8XXX chip will also overclock alot better on a 680i than a Q6600 if you ever do go that route.

Yes, I know i7 is coming, and everyone thinks the older chips are going to drop in price a ton. I dont see the E8400 and Q6600 dropping that much. They already pretty much own anything AMD has, unfortunately, so Intel really has no reason to sell them cheap.

i agree with you.. :0
November 12, 2008 2:12:19 AM

Thanks guys awesome advice!
November 12, 2008 2:21:47 AM

spacehog said:
Thanks guys awesome advice!

welcome :)  glad im the one answering the questions this time haha
!