Sign in with
Your question

Need help with Sub $1000 software development build

Last response: in Systems
August 3, 2008 2:05:39 AM

I would like to build a sub $1000 machine (Not including monitors) that I use for software development. I have put together a system using this site, but I think I overbuilt it as most of the time, I run Visual Studio, Remote Desktops and Outlook (I never play games).

My Requirements:
* Able to run dual 22" monitors
* Will be running Vista and all my development apps comfortably
* dual 500 gb raid 1 (I can't have any down time)
* As quiet as possible
* Low amount of heat (It gets how in my 2nd floor home office)
* Not a fancy looking case.

I would appreciate any help, as this is my first time doing this:

* MSI P7N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
* FSP Group FX600-GLN V2.2/EPS12V 600W Power Supply
* Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
* COOLER MASTER RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler
* A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
* EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
* 2x Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
* COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower
* Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R Burner Black SATA Model AD-7200S-0B
* 2x ViewSonic X Series VX2255wmb Glossy Black 22" 3ms Widescreen LCD Monitor w/Webcam
August 3, 2008 2:20:44 AM

#1 - If you are not going to be gaming, Forget the 8800GTS Card unless you are designing games. Go with something far cheaper and simpler such as ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This will easily handle both monitors, run quiet, and not draw alot of power.
It does have DX10 support so you have AERO support in the event you need to see how it effects your code.

#2 More Power than you need. You will save quite a bit of money on this Case/PSU. And the PSU will actually be as good or better quality.

#3 - Get 8GB of RAM and a 64-Bit OS. This will allow you to maintain multiple VMs.

#4 - Consider a 3rd HDD for Easy Backups. RAID 1 does not replace backups.

#5 - If you have cache, consider the Q9300 for Reduced Heat.

#6 - Consider Larger HDDs. If you are really going to be doing Software Development you will want a VM for 32-bit XP, 64-bit XP, 32-Bit Vista, 64-Bit Vista. And many more Operating Systems May come into play such as Server Operating Systems.
August 3, 2008 3:40:55 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a few more questions:

1. So really having more than 256 mb on the graphics card doesn't help? I'm not designing games.
2. I do some VMs. 8 gb is a good idea
3. The 3rd Hd is a great idea. Also having more space is something I should consider.
4. I would of liked top USB/etc ports. Seems like the antec doesn't have this. Also liked the idea of not having a door to the dvd drive. Seems kind of silly to me.
5. I don't understand your comment "If you have cache, consider the Q9300 for Reduced Heat."
6. I should keep the cool master cooler still, as I could do better than the as the the included heatsink and fan in the retail box.

Does graphic card memory have any role in the number of monitors? I might add a 3rd if my desk space allows at a later point.

Thanks for the help!
Related resources
August 3, 2008 4:19:19 AM

yeah zenmaster knows what he is talking about

For number 5, he means "if you have enough cash (money) then get the Q9300" ,it's more efficient then the Q6600

Just pick a case for your needs, leave room for expansion down the road. Make sure it has adequate air flow.
August 3, 2008 10:22:18 AM

1. GPUs are more complicated than just how much memory they've got. I suggest an HD34XX or 36XX.
August 3, 2008 2:07:11 PM

nirvana21 said:
yeah zenmaster knows what he is talking about

For number 5, he means "if you have enough cash (money) then get the Q9300" ,it's more efficient then the Q6600

Just pick a case for your needs, leave room for expansion down the road. Make sure it has adequate air flow.

Yes, I meant Cash :lol: 
(The 45nm Quads run cooler and hence possibly quiter. Also the Less heat your systems put out the better - Especially if you have a number of systems in a small space.)

Here is another PSU that will be more than enough for that build.
w/o a High-End GPU this will be more than enough.
Then you can stick it in the case of your choice.

I'm actually using the 380w version on my Quad Core Dev Build.
(I actually got the 380w version of the Sonata III for $40 shipped on a sweet deal for my Dev Build.)

(And No, the Extra Memory on the GPU will not help. Large amounts of RAM are only needed for Gaming purposes. If you are not gaming, that will just be needless power wasted and heat generated. Leading to more noise.
!