Sign in with
Your question

hierarchy of asus motherboards

Last response: in Motherboards
November 10, 2008 8:17:19 PM

I noticed that Asus has a TON of motherboards all labeled P5(insert letter). Not only do they have different letter suffixes, but they also have other add on titles such as "Pro" or "Deluxe", etc.

So how do I tell which ones the best boards are, and whether "Pro" or "Deluxe" is better? I'm just curious because I have a P5Q Pro, but when I see sales ads for random boards such as P5W, I have no idea if mine is better or not.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 V Motherboard
November 11, 2008 8:04:21 AM

Well the difference between P5 series are mostly the cooling options they have,some of them has an extra gigabit lan..... things like this.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2008 8:36:53 AM

The letter after "P5" designates the chipset used.
The "Q" series are based off Intel's P45, P43, Q45 and Q43 chipsets (yours being the better P45).
The "W" series are based off the older P975 chipset, "B" is the P965, "N" is for the nVidia based boards and "E" is for the X38/48 based motherboards.
The remainder specifies the exact model of the board and which features are installed.
The "Deluxe" boards are normally top of the line with the most features, best cooling and best voltage regulation.
Other versions may offer reduced cooling, reduced voltage regulation, less features, etc.

Your current motherboard is fairly good and defiantly better than a P5W.
I would not recommend you switch your current board for anything newer until you decide to jump aboard Denab, i7 or something later.
Related resources
November 11, 2008 8:54:23 AM

I hate this about ASUS.. this reminds me of the time I started with the Asus board... bought one....2 months later they released the sameboard - different name and added one feature. a month after that another board with extra features. I do hate them... feel betrayed somehow. They should at least give the consumer a feeling that they bought something nice. I stopped buying Asus then. Went for Gigabyte. At least Gigabyte comes out with DS3L, DS3-R, DS4, DS5, etc... all in 1 go. you choose what you want and what fits you. Unlike Asus who introduce a new board after a few months. I hate this marketing strategy.
I got the Rampage from Asus now.... thank god at least the Rampage 2 is a different chipset!!!
November 11, 2008 9:03:28 PM

outlw6669 said:
The letter after "P5" designates the chipset used.
The "Q" series are based off Intel's P45, P43, Q45 and Q43 chipsets (yours being the better P45).
The "W" series are based off the older P975 chipset, "B" is the P965, "N" is for the nVidia based boards and "E" is for the X38/48 based motherboards.
The remainder specifies the exact model of the board and which features are installed.
The "Deluxe" boards are normally top of the line with the most features, best cooling and best voltage regulation.
Other versions may offer reduced cooling, reduced voltage regulation, less features, etc.

Your current motherboard is fairly good and defiantly better than a P5W.
I would not recommend you switch your current board for anything newer until you decide to jump aboard Denab, i7 or something later.

Thanks for the explanation. Does Asus usually follow this naming system? So for whichever chipset that comes out next, the Qs would still be better than the Ws and Deluxe better than Pro?
!