Sign in with
Your question

Dell 8400 Bios A09 will not load

Last response: in Motherboards
November 10, 2008 10:54:55 PM

I am stumped!

I am not able to enter the Bios setup by hitting F2 or by going into the system setup from the boot menu. Further more, the option for Ctrl-I is gone (that is to setup RAID). I believe I know why the Ctrl-I option is gone being I reset the disks to non-RAID. Not being able to enter into the Bios setup is really confusing me. I tried removing the CMOS battery and putting it back in. I tried resetting the CMOS by changing the jumper over just as it says in the manual. I can install an OS and run everything just fine (well except for one of my HDD not showing up).

The main issue I would like help with is the Bios not entering setup. The RAID issue I believe I will be able to resolve once I can enter the Bios again. Any and all help is WELCOME! ;) 
November 10, 2008 10:58:34 PM

Oh yeah, I also flashed the Bios successfully. But the Bios isnt there... Odd. :o 
November 10, 2008 11:12:52 PM

Another note: I can see both drives now, one wasn't formatted. I guess I am getting a bit frustrated, that's my excuse for missing something simple like that. :) 
Related resources
January 22, 2010 5:20:48 PM

daddy2017 said:
Another note: I can see both drives now, one wasn't formatted. I guess I am getting a bit frustrated, that's my excuse for missing something simple like that. :) 

Did you ever find resolution to the "not being able to enter the bios by hitting F2" issue?

I am seeing the same on a client's Dimension 8400. I tried your steps above before consulting the internet and was glad to see your post!

But what was the resolution to the issue?

-K
January 23, 2010 12:09:54 AM

kurtdiver said:
Did you ever find resolution to the "not being able to enter the bios by hitting F2" issue?

I am seeing the same on a client's Dimension 8400. I tried your steps above before consulting the internet and was glad to see your post!

But what was the resolution to the issue?

-K

No, I didn't find a solution.

Oddly enough, it is working now. All I did was let it sit unplugged for a couple weeks and went back to it and tried again and then it worked.

What is odd is that I even tried leaving it unplugged for a couple days and even held down the power button to fully discharge the power and it didn't work at that time.

Sorry I don't have a good solution for you.

Are you able to boot to the OS, just not enter the bios?

January 28, 2010 5:09:39 AM

Can't get int othe Bios. When I hit F2 it confirms my keypress and says its entering, but it hangs with no screen change.

If I restart and try to boot normally, it gets passed bios splash screen then goes to a blank screen with a flashing curosor in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

If I unplug the harddrive, the bios reports a change with the HDD. I tried unplugging everything from the motherboard except CPU, RAM, and video card and can't get enter the bios when hitting F2, nor passed the flashing cursor.

At this point I have recommended my client purchase a new desktop and I will swap the Old HDD into the new desktop.

-K
January 29, 2010 3:02:36 AM

Yeah, if they have an 8400 it might be time to upgrade. Now I wish I could recreate it and find a solution, because that one stumped me pretty good and I love a challenge! :) 
!