24" or 26" display (pro's and con's)

tom69

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Dear readers ;)

In the last month I have spent alot of hours searching for a good 24" display and i was almost certain that it would be the Samsung 245B even though it has a TN panel I couldn't be bothered less. In the beginning I had my doubts about which brand I was going for because I was very attracted to the cheaper Fujitsu Siemens Scaleoview displays. The only problem was that I didn't have any experience with that brand nor did anybody else I knew. So I kept surfing through the internet to find that one shop that could get me my Samsung 245B for a little more then 300 euro's since I was willing to spend a few euro's more on having a good brand display.

Untill...

I came into this shop named "MediaMarkt" (I'm belgian) and they had this 26" Fujitsu Siemens S3260W for only 350 euro's. I found the 30 euro's worth the extra 2 inch even though it would not get me more pixels. :(

If you don't mind me coming to the point... read on.

So what I am actually trying to say or ask is... what would you do? and what would be best?
I realy don't know which display to go for since I realy like the 26" but perhaps it is too big? but nothing can be too big, right? I have always been dreaming about a 30" apple (that dream where I am a billionare, you know which one) Some people stated I should be careful going for a 26" due to the pixel mapping and dot pitch. Even though I do not know what they were talking about I started to have an idea. I still don't know what the pixel mapping realy is but I will google that soon. And for the dot pitch I understood that it is the space between 2 pixels. :hello:

So, what is best in general? A 26" (B-brand) or a 24" A-brand? I do not know, well maybe I do but I don't want to know because I think the 24" would be better.

Also, I am not planning on gaming on these (yet) i'll just stick to watching .avi video's for now so that wont hurt my PC.

How ever I hope that everyone can rea and understand my topic and I hope to get some answers soon :D

Hi tom the 24" screen would be your best bet besides the fact that its a known brand and has good reviews so you know what you are getting, The resolution and screen size lends itself to Video/HD better than a 26, IE the picture fits better to the native size. The pixel mapping and dot pitch basically comes down to the physical size of the pixels. Obviously at the same res they have to be bigger to cover a bigger area so the picture isnt as sharp. Normally this would be offset with a TV as you would sit further back but with most PC systems this isnt an option. Take a look at this table an dyou will see what the size differance is. http://www.prismo.ch/comparisons/desktop.php.

Mactronix