Sign in with
Your question

Ati Sapphire 4870, display issues=> dark and no signial in games...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2008 2:29:35 PM

Hi :hello: 

I've recently bought myself a new computer (I posted it first in THe hardware section and i got a "green light" :)  from the hardware experts here ) and I've tryd to put it toggeter as as well as I can.
Specs.

Mainboard : Gigabyte X48-DS4
Chipset : Intel X48
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3000 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series => Sapphire Ati Radeon 4870 512 mb
Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (640 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F ATA Device
Operating System : Windows (TM) Vista Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 10.00
Current Display : 1440x900 pixels at 60 Hz in True Colors (32-bit)

After about 6 to 7 hours (yes, i'm a total noob when it comes to putting a pc togetter lol), the pc finally started.

First Question; The 4870 Card came with two Strange 6 Pin connectors but i just used the ones that came with my Power suply. That shound't cause any problems right ? :??: 

I installed my OC (W Vista Home Primium 64-bit), Then i installed Drivers for Motherboard and for my video card.

For some strange reason (probebly me clicking around on other stuff) the driver installation failed the first time and i had to reïnstal it. Everything worked fine but it crashed in games => crysis
When i tryd to start a new game the screen went black "No Signial input" appeard, Then i need to press the "reset" button for my pc to restart. The menu loaded but the new game dident.. :fou:  .
I've tryd it on Verry high and on LOW. :o 
Same story with Oblivion (it's quite old, but it still rocks :p ), I can get to the Menu but starting a new game causes screen to crash= No signial.. Age of conan refuses to load the inlogging screen = no signial... And every time i need to resset my pc.
The strangest thing is that i can start Guild Wars and play it like i did on my older Pc. :pt1cable:  (havent played it for more then 10 mins though, to bussy trying to find a solution)

From that point i started searching all kinds of solutions on Forums (I Reïnstalled Vista and downloaded the newest Ati drivers instead of installing the ones from my Cd, changed some stuff in Bios and changed it back when it dident work) I updated my Bios with @bios, Used diffrent cables to connect my Screen to my PC and some other things (dont recall everything cause i've been trying to fix it for about 15 ********* hours). The problem seems to be the 8.8 Ati drivers/Control center...

There 're a lot of people that had fimiliar problems and some manigded to fix it, but it's never verry clear what they did diffrent.
I hope one of you guys with a 4870 could tell me what to change to make it work. Dont care about reïnstaling everything, as long as it works ... :pfff: 

Some say to use Driver Cleaner Pro but i dont know witch opions i should select to Uninstal all ati stuff and witch driver i should reïnstal...

Second Question = How can I get my 4870 to run properly ? (i dident pay a ****load of money to use my older video card in a new pc)

All help is verry mutch appreciated :D  and I appolegize for my English spelling problems :pt1cable:  .
August 25, 2008 8:55:13 PM

First Question; The 4870 Card came with two Strange 6 Pin connectors but i just used the ones that came with my Power suply. That shound't cause any problems right ? (YOU NEED TO USE 2 6PINS)

I installed my OC (W Vista Home Primium 64-bit), Then i installed Drivers for Motherboard and for my video card. (YES THAT'S CORRECT)

WHICH PSU DID YOU GOT?

August 25, 2008 11:29:28 PM

rsx1022 said:
First Question; The 4870 Card came with two Strange 6 Pin connectors but i just used the ones that came with my Power suply. That shound't cause any problems right ? (YOU NEED TO USE 2 6PINS)

I installed my OC (W Vista Home Primium 64-bit), Then i installed Drivers for Motherboard and for my video card. (YES THAT'S CORRECT)

WHICH PSU DID YOU GOT?

I replaced the two 6 pins i was using (6pins with a detatcheble 2 pin, came with the PSU) by the ones that came with the Video card. They were kinda strange, 3 pin connector on the on side of the cable and a 6 pin on the otherside. But it seems to make no diffrence

I use the Corsair voeding 750W 24p,120mm case fan (5j. Warrenti)

Related resources
August 27, 2008 8:08:44 AM

Quote:
I replaced the two 6 pins i was using (6pins with a detatcheble 2 pin, came with the PSU) by the ones that came with the Video card. They were kinda strange, 3 pin connector on the on side of the cable and a 6 pin on the otherside. But it seems to make no diffrence
First use the pins from the power supply. Next get ATI Tools (search google) and do a stress test and see if the card will crash. If it crashed then it might be the card. I have the same graphics card as you and I had problems with the install of the CCC, but I installed Windows and then directly the driver and that did the trick for me. So ...the steps you should take:
1. Plug the 2 power cable in the card from the PSU. Check to see if they are locked into place.
2. Install Vista again.
3. Install the 8.8 display adapter + CCC.
4. Download GPU-Z to check if the card is recognized correctly and to see the temperature. (Sensors tab)
5. Do the fan fix - set it to 35-45 %. http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=192932
6. Test with ATI Tools for artifacts and check the temperatures with GPU-Z. If there are artifacts RMA the card. If the display crashed under the load and the temperature is lower than 70 C it might be the PSU.
If you do this steps correctly then you will see which component or software causes the problem.
Good luck.
August 28, 2008 1:43:45 PM

hallowed_dragon said:
Quote:
First use the pins from the power supply. Next get ATI Tools (search google) and do a stress test and see if the card will crash. If it crashed then it might be the card. I have the same graphics card as you and I had problems with the install of the CCC, but I installed Windows and then directly the driver and that did the trick for me. So ...the steps you should take:
1. Plug the 2 power cable in the card from the PSU. Check to see if they are locked into place.
2. Install Vista again.
3. Install the 8.8 display adapter + CCC.
4. Download GPU-Z to check if the card is recognized correctly and to see the temperature. (Sensors tab)
5. Do the fan fix - set it to 35-45 %. http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=192932
6. Test with ATI Tools for artifacts and check the temperatures with GPU-Z. If there are artifacts RMA the card. If the display crashed under the load and the temperature is lower than 70 C it might be the PSU.
If you do this steps correctly then you will see which component or software causes the problem.
Good luck.

Hey :) 

Right when i red your response i had olrdy brought the pc back to the shop. :??:  THey said the GPU was broken and replaced it by a new one. :) 

When i got back i tryd some games but...
They all worked but after 5-10 mins the screen broke into little peeces lol, i think the GPU was to hot.. :cry:  THat could be a reason right ?

So now i installed the Fan fix and GPU temp when doing nothing is about 32 so... :D 

I'm gonne test a game now, hopefully the screen doesnt break into little peaces or somthing like that lol.

Btw; i've got windows vista 64 bit and i dont think the Ati tool has drivers for vista yet.. :(  So i cant scan for artifacts (what ever that means :pt1cable:  )

Ty for your time and pray that crysis wont crash :) 
November 4, 2008 9:34:13 AM

Hello, i had the same problem with the ati 4870, Sapphire version, and when i try to play counter stryke, or crysis, sometimes assasins creed, when i have passed more than 10 minutes playing, the game crashes showing a screen with little squares, the same as you.

I have read in other forums that this issue is happening with the sapphire version of this radeon, its not the only case.
My brother bought the same car in a different store and he had the same problems.

profesionals still dont have a conclusion, some poeple say that it was a ram issue, others taht the heat on the graphic card is too high..
I dont know exactly what is the problem , but now im sure that a lot of poeple have problems with this model of 4870, and if someone know how to resolve this issue, tell us please.

Thank all of you

Pd ( sorry, im from Spain, and my level of english is not fluid )
May 27, 2009 5:54:18 PM

reiher said:
Hello, i had the same problem with the ati 4870, Sapphire version, and when i try to play counter stryke, or crysis, sometimes assasins creed, when i have passed more than 10 minutes playing, the game crashes showing a screen with little squares, the same as you.

I have read in other forums that this issue is happening with the sapphire version of this radeon, its not the only case.
My brother bought the same car in a different store and he had the same problems.

profesionals still dont have a conclusion, some poeple say that it was a ram issue, others taht the heat on the graphic card is too high..
I dont know exactly what is the problem , but now im sure that a lot of poeple have problems with this model of 4870, and if someone know how to resolve this issue, tell us please.

Thank all of you

Pd ( sorry, im from Spain, and my level of english is not fluid )

Its simply Sapphire scr*wed up; which we can forgive. But the amount of time wasted on PSU and Ram tweeking, makes me fiercely unforgiving! :( 
May 28, 2009 4:20:11 PM

Hehe, well , 8 months later i'll end this story

Sapphire did screw up big time on their 4870,512 mb
I went back to the pc shop and they did some more test over there, using diffrent sapphire 4870 cards. Turned out like 1/3 of them was free of any problems Except

None of them could run age of conan, so i decided to switch to asus and upgrade to their 1 gb version of 4870

My advise, dont buy the 4870 sapphire card, 512
And as far as i'm concerned, i'm not gonne trust sapphire again
!