amd am2 plus suggestion?

SteWieH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I'm looking for a good realiable motherboard with the normal bells and whistles (sata one ide slot.) but has possibilies of booting from usb, and the possibilities to OC. also I still need room for a Soundcard and a wireless card I am going to pair it up with the following for hardware..
corsair dominator ram. 8 gb (4 x 2gb)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197&cm_sp=MyNewegg-_-RctViewDC-_-Pst01Descrip
this bfg card nvidia 260
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143155
and a amd 2.6 Pheon CPU Black edition..
any suggestions?

hacker91

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
seriously look at Intel cpus and boards unless you cant afford the few extra bucks for a low end that stock beats the piss out of that AMD. Intels will OC far better run cooler while doing it and already spanks the old K8s like a red headed step child. The E 7200 is fairly cheap and will OC to about 4ghz. At stock its already beating the BE chip. If you had a board and just wanted to upgrade your A64 i would understand staying AMD, but buying a new board and moving everything anyway. Ya might as well get better perfomance across the board.

My other comp is an older s754 A64 Newcastle core couldnt OC it more than 200mhz.

This comp is a E4300 stock 1.8ghz OC 24/7 at 3.0ghz theres no comparison.

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
as hacker91 said you might want to give the intel cpu's a look. i hate to say it but they just perform alot better. for the price of the 9950 X4 cpu you can get a E8400/E8500 dual core. that performs alot better in games, and alot is an understatement:p unless your going to be doing video editing the X4 will not perform as good as a E8400.

but if you have your mind set on an AMD cpu i would recommend this mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339

best mobo you can get for AMD AM2+ cpu's

allhands

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I'm not sure what your using your computer for but Intel CPUs will OC more and are faster on the high end. But the phenom will more than likely do you fine and I don't see a need for you to switch to Intel if you already have a AMD chip. Most modern mobos will support booting from a USB drive so I wouldn't worry about that in your decision. Also most mobos will have no problem taking 8 gigs (although you may have to step up the voltage going to RAM for stable performance) I would take a serious look at something with the 790GX chipset. It uses integrated graphics but you can disable that. What you would be more interested in is ACC (advanced clock calibration) which will allow you to OC higher than a chipset that doesn't have that feature.

SteWieH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
well i am building a completely new pc but I really know nothing about the intel chipset. plus there cpus confuse the hell out of me and 'm using my pc as a gaming rig and as a video editor.
Also intel chips seem to be WAY more. for a amd quad core I can spend 185 WHILE at the same time I would spend about 250 for the same speed.

blippo311

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
There is nothing wrong with AMD. I have ran AMD for years!! I like it, I love it, just give me some more of it!!! As far as a mb goes, I would get the 790FX chipset. It has lots of headroom and no on-board video. If you want something alittle cheaper, the 790GX will have on-board video and pletty of headroom also. But I see that you want to go with nvidia on your video card, so you might want to a 780a or 750a chipset.

Last note: For all the intel lovers out there. Sure intel maybe a little bit better, but if it wasn't for AMD, then you would be paying thousands of $$$$$ for you little cpu's. So keep that in mind when you dog the BIG DOGS!!!

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

well if you compare an amd quad core with an intel quad core then yes they are more expensive. but the intel quad would be way way better. that's why you should look at intel and amd at the same price point. the clock speed is not something you can compair the clockspeed for intel is completely different that for AMD, so never compair that.

but you can't go wrong with either a 9950 X4 or a E8400. the E8400 would way better for games and the 9950 Would be better for video editing.

SteWieH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
how about some actual mobo recommandations. telling me whipset to get in't overly helpful seeing how some motherboards are better. can someone please tell me a specific mobo to get?

TRENDING THREADS