New PC Rig - some questions (psu + case)

sykochicken

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
These are the parts that I'm going to purchase soon, but I still have some questions

Motherboard: XFX LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI

Processor: Intel Quad Core Q9300 2.5Ghz

RAM: Corsair 2GB 800Mhz (x2)

HDD: Western Digital 500GB 7200rpm

GPU: XFX Nvidia Geforce GTX 280 1GB GDDR3

PSU: Gigabyte 800W -(???)-

Case: ASUS Vento 7700 (???)

Will the 2 following parts: the 800W Gigabyte PSU and ASUS Vento 7700 Case be able to accomadate the other parts in terms of power (PSU), space/cooling (case)??

I have also found in the market a Gigabyte CPU cooler 120mm (GIGABYTE GH-PSU23-PB 120mm EBR CPU Cooler). First is it a necessary purchase and will this piece fit with the motherboard and will it allow enough space in the case (also considering a future SLI)?

Thank You

I can find very little info on the case. I don't see a full review with good pictures anywhere. It looks kinda cool if you are into that sort of thing, and shows some promise with a lower front vent.

I suspect the PSU, which you have not given enough info on (Gigabyte makes two 800W) will not have the amps to drive that GPU.

sirrell

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
Spend a bit more and get a 790i Ultra from XFX or EVGA (3way SLI)
for 3 way SLI you need a 3xSLI capable psu they start at 1000W I believe.
And SLI is at 16x speed in each slot not just the first one.

Roughly 500 watt minimum for one older GFX card , add about 250W for 2 (750watt) and add another 250 watt for 3 cards (1000 watt)
However the card you have chosen is one of the latest and very power hungry, check with your card manufacturer for specific power requirements of that card.

Why not the Q9450 CPU
clock speed is matters in gaming.

sykochicken

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
thank you for the suggestions but I am not looking for other parts I am going with the above mentioned except for the CASE and POWER SUPPLY as I am NOT sure if the 850W power supply is enough for the rig and whether or not the case is roomy and spacious

regarding the case I forgot to mention there is a Gigabyte Aurora case which I am also considering instead of the ASUS Vento

So basically:
1)Is the 850W power supply sufficient or should I get more (1000W+) ????
2)Which case is better in terms of space and air cooling, the ASUS Vento or the Gigabyte Aurora????

sirrell

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
Its not the Watts you have to check the amps that a 280 chipset uses
I believe its 12Volt 34Amp rails, u probably went with a cheaper 12Volt 32Amp rails.
Check this though.

sirrell

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
You do realise that it will run games faster on a dual core 2.6Ghz than a 2.4Ghz Quad Core, so maybe consider a faster dual core than a slower quad if its mainly for gaiming?, better bang for buck theory.

It looks like you might be able to fit the 10.5" GTX 280 into either case.
ASUS Vento 7700
http://techgage.com/reviews/asus/vento_7700/asus_vento_7700_18.jpg
http://techgage.com/article/asus_vento_7700/
Gigabyte Aurora
http://img.neoseeker.com/v_image.php?articleid=1817&image=7
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/gigabyte_aurora/
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/gig-3d-aurora.html

From the review it looks like the Vento might have less than ideal cooling.
http://techgage.com/article/gigabyte_3d_aurora_570/1
2.jpg

sykochicken

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
looks like the aurora is better especially under load
i'd go for thermaltake but they don't have it here

"It looks like you might be able to fit the 10.5" GTX 280 into either case."
might be able to?

as for the psu @sirell i've looked at gigabyte's product specs for the psu also rails?? no idea
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/PowerSupply/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2490&ProductName=ODIN%20GT%20800W

+3.3V = 30A
+5V = 28A
+12V1 = 18A
+12V2 = 18A
+12V3 = 25A
+12V4 = 25A
-12V = 0.8A
+5Vsb = 3A

XFX Website states that the GTX 280 requires minimum of 630W for non-SLI and 680W for SLI
Newegg says the XFX GTX 280 requires minimum 550W

i'm still not sure about the PSU but a bit more certain about the Case

If you really have a thing for the Vento it will likely work. It's thin, meaning tall CPU coolers will not fit. Most will though.

It also has bad airflow because of the way the HD cages are built, but as long as you aren't using it in a hot room and not overclocking, it should be OK.

The Gigabyte case looks like a real winner though. Far better cooling and room.

Since the GTX 280 has two separate power connections, I think the PSU will work fine. If you want to add another card for SLI, you will likely be cutting it close. I'm seeing a trend towards 1000W PSUs for SLI 280s.

Seems like you have done your research.

Those of us who have been building computers for a long time have our stories. When PSUs become a problem it can effect other components and be hard to nail down. We like to leave ourselves healthy margins with PSUs.

Yes, looks like the 800w will work great for the single card, and probably work with two. Most of us would prefer at least a 1000W I think for two cards.

When I buy a PSU I look for something that will last through a couple builds.

sykochicken

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
well i got most of the pieces today...the corsair RAM was out of stock and the power supply i'll be checking the stores in the other city

i eyeballed the gtx 280 and the inside of the gigabyte aurora case but it doesn't seem like the gpu will fit inside....it might with some modding but it will be a really tight fit...the gtx 280 length will maybe be a few mm's away from the case's hard-drive railing area...will post some photos later for better understanding

sykochicken

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
v_image.php

See that black box? That's a tool box (removable) and in that same area is where the hard disks go.
The distance between the left side of the case and the hard disk railing thingies is going to be tight for the gtx 280.....i'm also worried whether the xfx 780i motherboard will fit....

motherboard sizes are standard right?? please say yes hehehe

case is really nice...got mine in black, has 2 120mm fans in the back and one in the front (w/ blue leds), 2 usbs audio jacks and i think firewire on the sides

Motherboard should be the standard ATX 12" x 9.6" size - confirm that on the XFX website.

The 8800GTX is 10.5" and fit inside that case. Thats why I said the 10.5" GTX 280 might fit.

sykochicken

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
i guess i'll be sticking with this case
another guy with the same exact case and a gtx 280 said it was a tight fit but he could fit it in (2 IDE cables space b/w the hdd rack and the card)

thank you all for your input still need the psu and ram and then going to assemble hope nothing is wrong with it

then i'll be back with some questions about setting up the pc, bios, overclocking and the likes

thank you all in tomshardware i appreciate all the help