Sign in with
Your question

Unliocking AMD Phenom II - have i broken it :(

Last response: in Overclocking
September 20, 2009 9:10:55 AM

Hi!

Well, I just got myself a new PC yesterday and I have broken it already. Basically the CPU is an AMD Phenom II x 2 550 Black Edition. Having read many eports online about unlocking the 3rd and 4th core I thought I would give it a go. My motherboard is an Asus M4N78 Pro (Nvidia Chipset so no ACC). Using the NCC option I was able to option up all 4 cores with a couple of key presses.

The computer boots fine into Windows XP and is stable whne web browsing and other light tasks. However, whenever I start a game it will lock in the first few minutes (2 symptoms: either BSOD or a system 'freeze'). Interestingly it just ran the Crysis Benmark test through 12 cycles with no crash (at 49 fps) - weird when its crashing World of Warcraft, COD4 and ARMA2 within minutes.

I havent tinkered with OC the CPU or graphics card. I have the latest Nvidia driver for my graphics card and the latest version of Directx9c.

My feeling is that one or both of the unlocked cores is probably a bit dodgy (but I am not expert in this field). In order to eliminate the possible faulty cores I need to turn them off again, ie. relock or disable them. How can I do this? I understand that it can be done with AMD overdrive ?? but that doesnt work with my MB chipset. I have tried all options that I understand in the Asus bios but I still end up with 4 cores (according to CPU-Z) and an unstable system.

Basic system details:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x 2 BE 550
MB: Asus M4N78 Pro (Nvidia 8300 Chipset)
Graphics: (stock) Sparkle GTX 275
Memory 2 x 2Gb Corsair DDR2

Have I damaged my CPU beyond repair? Am I going to have to buy a new one to get system stability back (I hope not because I have no money left after buying the new PC!)

Please help me if you can.

Regards

Richard
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2009 9:35:00 AM

Richard75 said:
My feeling is that one or both of the unlocked cores is probably a bit dodgy (but I am not expert in this field). In order to eliminate the possible faulty cores I need to turn them off again, ie. relock or disable them. How can I do this?

Quickest way: clear CMOS. It will then go back to an X2 550. You'll have to reset other settings in the BIOS though (time/date, RAID, boot sequence, etc).
September 20, 2009 2:10:58 PM

Attention idiots!!!!!!!!!!! The cores were locked for a reason!!!!!
Related resources
September 20, 2009 7:37:09 PM

most of these have locked cores for a reason, DONT go buying one of these with the hope of unlocking the extra cores!
daship, dont call people idiot (idiot) oppps, this cpu may have been market binned!
September 20, 2009 7:48:27 PM

Try to raise the vcore.
!