Random Blue Screen Shutdown

Hi,

I recently built a new system using Vista home premium 32bit.

I randomly get a blue screen saying windows has shut down due to an unexpected error and the system does a memory dump then restarts the system.

This can happen anywhere from 1-2 times a day to 1 time in 3-4 days. it is totally random and doesn't matter if i am using the system or if it's just sitting idle.

Any ideas?

i can post the system componets when i get home from work if that will help.

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about random blue screen shutdown
  1. What are the 0x000000?? error code & any offending program?

Specs?
  2. What kind of video card do you have? I read somewhere that 28% and 8% of Vista blue screens last year were caused by nVidia and ATI drivers, respectively. Mind you, last year everybody was buying nVidia, so the numbers don't necessarily mean ATI's drivers are better.

Did you update video drivers?

I'm not quite sure how you do this on Vista, but for XP here are the steps: right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Settings (in the Startup and recovery section), uncheck "Automatically restart". After that, the next blue screen will remain there until you reboot manually. That should allow you time to read it and get an error code and name of the DLL that blew up. In my case, that was nv4_disp.dll (part of nVidia's video drivers) and it went away after I got newer drivers from the company's site.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Blue Screen Windows Vista Shutdown Systems