First time overclocking - is this OK?

Hi all,

I have never overclocked before but been a geek for many years. I finally broke down and made a machine I can overclock but i wanted to check and see if this looks OK to the pros.

Now my goal is not extreme overclock but i just wanted a nice boost.

Currently this is what i have I7 920 with a ASUS P6T DELUXE V2

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=719410

I raised the bus speed and lowered the core voltage. In auto the core was set at 1.25. So currently is the lowest I can have it stable. The idle temp is around 35 -37 C. I am running Prime 95, about 45 min now core temp is hovering around 60 c.

I think it may be OK. but since i really have no clue, i figured i would ask.
6 answers Last reply
More about first time overclocking
  1. Go ahead and use Prime95 for an extended time. How long is really up to you. I typically do 4 hours of SmallFTT and 8 hours of Blend.

Also use LinX or Intel Burn Test, and run about 20.
  2. Tjmax1,

Prime95 Small FFT's is the Standard for processor thermal testing, because it's a steady-state 100% workload which yields steady-state temperatures, whereas Blend is a memory cyclic workload which yields fluctuating processor temperatures. Small FFT's will reach 97% thermal saturation within 7 to 8 minutes, so a 10 minute test is adequate. Thermal testing should be conducted as close as possible to 22c Standard ambient, with case covers removed, the computer clear of any desk enclosures, and all fans at 100% RPM to eliminate cooling variables, and produce consistent and repeatable results for comparisons.

OCCT and Burn Test (reminiscent of TAT) use LinPack, which shows thermal signatures that resemble the ups and downs of a bad day at the stock market, and cycle between light workloads, through test segments which spray all processor registers with all one's, (100% thermal load, which equates to 115% workload), and can push an overclocked i7 at Vcore Max 1.375 with HT enabled, right on past Tcase Max to ring the Tjunction Max bell like a fire alarm! :o

Since there are very few applications or games that will spike, let alone sustain processor workloads beyond 70% to 85%, utilities which load all registers with all one's are not representative of real-world computing. While these utilities are certainly very useful for stability testing, they are inappropriate for thermal testing,

From Intel's Processor Spec Finder - http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=All&ProcFam=3052&SearchKey=

Vcore Max 1.375v
    Tcase Max (CPU temperature) 68c
    Tjunction (Core temperature) 73c

From the Core i7 and Core 2 Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core-core-temperature-guide

Section 1: Introduction

Core i and Core 2 processors have 2 different types of temperature sensors; a CPU case (not computer case) Thermal Diode centered under the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located on each Core. The case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature case), which is CPU temperature, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature junction), which is Core temperature. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a 5c temperature difference between them, which is Tcase to Tjunction Gradient. Core i7’s / i5’s and Core 2 Quad’s have 1 Tcase and 4 Tjunction sensors, while Core 2 Duo's have 1 Tcase and 2 Tjunction sensors ...

... The monitoring utilities provided by motherboard manufacturers monitor CPU temperature, while some popular freeware utilities monitor Core temperatures ... Real Temp ... is recommended for users interested in monitoring Core temperatures only ... SpeedFan monitors Tcase (CPU temperature) and Tjunction (Core temperature) ...

The Thermal Specification shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder is Tcase Max (CPU) not Tjunction (Core), which is a very common misconception among most enthusiasts. Since there's a 5c gradient between the CPU sensor and the Core sensors, (shown in the following Intel document) - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0709/0709.1861.pdf - just add 5c to the value shown in the Spec Finder to determine the corresponding Core temperature, which is 73c for all Core i7 9xx variants.

Intel's second and frequently misunderstood Thermal Specification, Tjunction Max, (100c for all Core i variants) applies to overtemp protection such as Throttle and Shutdown, so you don't toast your transistors. As such, any i7 Core temperatures which exceed 73c should be considered "overtemp". Further, when specifications are exceeded, then processor degradation becomes a concern, which is explained in the following AnandTech article - http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3251&p=6

My objective is to assure that enthusiasts understand Intel's specifications, standards and test methods, so they can better decide how to apply and manage their overclocking options.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol:
  3. Thanks a lot for the information, I did a lot of reading prior to doing anything. Including the stickies on these forums. There is a lot of great information about this stuff here on these forums.

I only asked if it looks OK just to be sure I didn't miss something I should have done or did something I should not have.

As i said I don't want to extreme overclock it, just to take it up a couple notches. I ran the Prime95 Small FFT's for about 15 min and using Real Temp, the core temps never broke 60. I also ran 2 hours of Blend. everything seemed ok there as well. Till i ran 3dmark03. it would crap out curing the CPU tests. so i bumped up vcore just a little bit and that's no longer an issue.

My Ambient temps 22 c
    idol core temps 36c
    100% thermal load core temps are 63 62 61 60

Intel Burn Test passed with out issue

I run Prime95 overnight see if it runs all night OK.

Thanks for all the information, both past and present.
  4. Tjmax1 said:
    I did a lot of reading prior to doing anything. Including the stickies on these forums.

It's always rewarding for us to see someone approach his first time overclock in an intelligent manner, with forethought and research. The 3DMark releases are excellent for stability testing, and are much more indicative of real-world computing. You definately have more head room to push your rig up a few more notches, if you like.

Excellent job! Well done! :D
  5. Just curious, when was this built? Also, what's the vdroop on that board. My damn UD3R's got a massive vdroop and I'm thinking of getting a P6T Deluxe in a few weeks, if it's got only a little vdroop I'd get that. Thanks. And nice OC btw.
  6. I'm also running the P6T Deluxe. Asus's 16 phase voltage regulation limits Vdroop from 0 to 16 millivolts, depending on Vcore and load. I've tested the board at 5 distinct settings from 1.000 to 1.425, from idle to 100% workload, and the most typical Vdroop is only 8 millivolts.

It's a delicate balancing act trying to achieve overclock stability at the lowest Vcore and temperatures, so it's more difficult when Vcore is sloppy. I've never been satisfied with Gigabyte, MSI or E VGA boards in this respect, regardless of features. which is why I use only Asus boards in my personal rig.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking