jaquestraw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Hi all, the other night I had a power outage at my home and when power came back on I'm guessing there was a surge that killed either my mobo or PSU. I get nothing when I press the power button and no LED's on the mobo. My first question would be, how do I test my PSU to see if the problem is with it.

If the PSU is ok, then I assume the mobo is fried. If I replace it and upgrade to a Q9300 based rig (mobo, CPU and RAM) will I be able to simply plug in my 2 HDD's in RAID 0 and boot it?

I've been wanting to upgrade so hopefully this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Thanks in advance.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
If the PSU fan dont spin its a dead PSU for sure. If it does spin it might still be dead.

If the omputer was on othr parts might have got damaged also. If it was off everything should be fine.

No you cant drop your raid in and go. Your Raid has AMD drivers and registrys that will conflict with Intel, and your raid needs to be on the exact same controller to be rcognized.

harrycat88

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
How to test your power supply the correct way:
First off, disconnect the 20 pin or 24 pin power connector from the motherboard, second disconnect the 4 pin CPU power connector.
Take a paper clip or a piece of wire and push it into the 24 pin or 20 pin power connector where the green wire is. Take the other end of the paper clip and push it into the 24pin or 20 pin power connector were a black wire is.
Basically you want to short the green wire to one of the black wires on the 24pin or 20 pin power connector.
Don't worry it won't shock you.
If the Power Supply comes on, then there is something wrong with your motherboard. If the PSU doesn't come on. Then your PSU is dead.
I do this all the time when I buy a new power supply to make sure it works before I install it.

jaquestraw

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Thanks harrycat88, I couldn't remember which wires to jump. I'll give it a go. Thanks Roadrunner for the info on RAID, I figured that was the case. I'll start a new topic with a proposed upgrade.

Thanks again.

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
The paper clip test isn't always reliable as I learned, and it cost me about a month worth of RMA waiting time...I paper clipped the power supply which turned on and powered the fans I plugged into it fine. I even used a voltmeter to check the voltages, which were also fine. But it wasn't enough to power the computer...I RMA'd the motherboard, got it back, plugged it in...nothing. But then I tried a different power supply, and boom, it worked. So I would try swapping the power supply for another known good one to see if the computer powers on.