Why doesn't Tom acknowledge the ZM-8x

pr1mal0ne

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
AMD released their ZM line of mobile processors around June 2008. I own a ZM-82 and like it very much in performance and power consumption, but im lazy and dont want to put it through 63 benchmarks, so Why wont Tom do it. It is the best performing mobile line AMD has, it should be shown in the Mobile Processor chart.
and while im at it why isnt the Intel L- and T- lines represented more too. I mean I know it is hard to get all the hardware... but your tomshardware for goodness sake

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Mobile processor charts are infrequently updated at best. Plus they need a desktop motherboard that supports the line to do a proper set of benchmarks.

I'm on a TK-53 on my lappy, and while I know it's not exactly muscular, it's good enough for what I need (roughly a 2 hour battery life browsing the 'net). It would be nice to find out the actual power of the AMD mobile line, but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon, at least not to the same level as the Intel gear.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I'm also very interested in seeing how ZM-8x performs compare to mobile C2D, Windsor and Brisbane-based Athlon 64 X2. It could be a good review for the Tom's Hardware site.

That's a 65nm 2 X 1Mb cache cpu ... which I didn't think existed.

Try dialing up the cache size below and no 65nm products comeup.

Must be an optical shrink of the 90nm Toledo.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUFilter.aspx

Wow ... 35 Watts is a big drop for what was a 90nm 4400 / 4800 cpu @ about 89 Watts when first out.

Bummer it is in the wrong package because I bet they would overclock well.

The 6400+ by comparison runs at 3.2Ghz on a 90nm process with the same sixe cache and nearly burns the house down in terms of power output.

Thanks for this

Dunno but the 65nm AM2 cpu's have always put me off because the cache was cut in half.

Good news if they change the package.

Would be an absolute ripper chip for a HTPC I would imagine - on a new 790GX chipset.

Easy to cool and plenty of grunt for that sort of a job.

Hope they consider it.

Sell like hotcakes.

Maybe a smart mobo manudacturer will combine the two as is ... Shuttle ??

heh heh

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

You can if you hunt around find Socket-S1 motherboards, but they are thin on the ground, and the CPUs are almost as hard to get hold of. AMD don't seem to have any desire to serve a market selling mobile CPUs to the enthusiast anymore. Bit different from the day of the Barton 2500+

randomizer

Champion
Wait... 10 posts and no "Tom's are Intel fanboys" comments? I'm impressed.

clapping.gif

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

The trick with fanboys is to give them all the attention then deserve. i.e. none at all.

I get accused of it myself because all my home rigs are AMD, but TBH it's either because I've picked the stuff up dirt cheap/at the time I was buying it was best bang for buck/it's salvaged kit that was being binned. I'll buy Intel/AMD/nVidia/VIA depending on what I want to spend. In other words, I take the sensible option. Why spend a fortune when there is no need to?

Oh, I even have a G3 sat next to my desk at the moment. :D

Is she an eskimo then TC ??

Is Alaska surrounded by foreign countries ??

Are the Alaskan people annoyed over all of this publicity??

Are they really into overclocking as one would think ??

Is it true they don't sell quad core cpu's up there for fear of melting the igloos and making lots of family temporarily homeless ?

I apologise to all of the Alaskans ... in advance.

pr1mal0ne

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
very nice replies, that was actually the question when i started this topic that i wanted answered-- Why dont alaskans win at every 3dmark benchamrk. i mean they do live in -20C igloos

No prob man, that's what we are here for!