Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0 & non-RAID

Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2009 7:25:54 AM

Hello, though I am rather new on these forums, I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma.

I'll begin with listing my hardware pertaining to this thread:
Motherboard: ASRock ALive NF6G-VSTA
Hard Drives: 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 SATA & 160GB Western Digital 5400RPM SATA something or other
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
Optical Drive: IDE LG CD/DVD +/- RW

I recently bought the 2 500GB drives with the intention of running a new install in RAID 0 & I've already done that (using the motherboard RAID controller). Shortly after, I discovered my machine couldn't read the older 160GB drive (so I could copy my old files). It doesn't address the 160GB drive anywhere, not in the BIOS or OS. I turned off RAID in the BIOS and it addressed the 160GB drive, but Windows asked me to format the 2 500GB drives when I booted up from the 160GB drive (but at the time, it saw the 2 as a single drive).

As you could see, I would like to be able to use my 160Gb drive while running off the RAID 0 array. Is there a simple(ish) way to do this?

Thank you.

More about : raid raid

December 27, 2009 8:40:39 AM

I just finished a setup with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and wanted to do the same thing. Needed to go into Computer Management --> Disk Manager and create a new volume on the drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 27, 2009 10:24:48 AM

That won't help you if you want the data. I don't know your board, but you need to plug the 160GB into a SATA port that isn't attached to the RAID controller. I think whats happening is when you plug in the 160GB drive your plugging it into a SATA port thats on the RAID controller and its getting confused. Hopefully you have some SATA ports on a different controller.
m
l
December 27, 2009 2:56:10 PM

I worked it out: I didn't know I had to set up the single drive in its own "RAID Array" in the RAID controller BIOS. The drive popped up in the OS as soon as I did this.

Thanks for the SATA controller tip.
m
l
!