480i HDTV won't display higher than 1024x768

tbates1244

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
I just got an EVGA 8800GT SC and started off running forceware 169.25. The TV I play games on is a 30 inch Panasonic CRT type. It hooks up with component. Now when I use that forceware my tv will only do 1024x768 max. I tried out the 175.19 drivers and I was able to do 1280x1024 and 1900xsomething. those drivers were very unstable though on my setup and was gettting the nvdispl4 inf. loop blue screen in COD4 Crysis etc. All I want is to run at a higher res. to take the strain off of my older P4 HT 3.2. Is there another forceware I should use? I could really use some help here, anybody?

What's the model of TV?

If it only support 480i that's all you can show, there's no benefit to higher resolution if it can't show it.

Your display panel may say higher resolution, but it's going to have to output somethng the TV can support.

hesskia

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Now for the insightful post...

Your TV is 480i, this means that the full resolution is 720x480 @ 30fps mhz (based on a 60hz refreshing every other line, hence the "i" for interlaced.

When you give it a higher resolution, like 1024x768 (slightly less pixels than a 720p display that is 1280x720 @60fps), it will only display at 720x480, likely using some sort of scaling to make it fit.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

hesskia

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008

That was the point--notice the wrong "You're" and the incorrect capitla "I" in idiot.

xnem3s1sx

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
If the screen is 480i, it's not going to actually display anything more than 720x480 interlaced, at 30FPS, (assuming its an NTSC TV, not PAL or SECAM) you should be using s video, not component btw, because it will likely give better color on a 480i tv. The only advantage of scaling down the picture is that it does something similar to AA
also, higher resolutions don't take strain off of the processor, if anything, they put more strain on it.

tbates1244

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
I was told here once that it did take strain off, even though when I tested it I always got better FPS at 800x600. It was always hard to tell with the processor usage cause it alsmot always in full use during gaming. I may not be at the highest res. but the picture is better (and bigger :) ) than a 1024x768 19" Dell Flatscreen from like 3 years ago! I'll take ur advice though XNEM3SISx and just use my S-video. It served me well for a long time on my last 7600GT playing Crysis/FEAR/COD4
Oh and hessika you totally got me. I'm an idiot and had no idea what to do thus, this post. Everybody in this world was born new, so how can you call anyone an idiot, noob, whatever. I have a friend who goes to MIT who is less of a jerk than you. Just grow up.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
1024x768, from my experience, is the highest sort of resolution it will let you try to force on a 480i television. Yes, I've tried, and actually, it's possible to read text on it, thought just barely; that's because not being actually digital but analog, it isn't strictly limited to being "a pixel is a pixel," so you CAN actually have resolutions above 480 lines. however, you won't be able to exceed that, even with component cabling.

tbates1244

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Sorry King you just squeezed that past me.I understant its an anolog TV I wish I could afford a new digital close to my current size. I agree I can't even read txt at 1024x768. But frankly, if the guy above says that it wont un-strain my CPU then I'll just use S-video. The color seperation is better than average.

Well on the spec page the owner's manual says it's 480i, and it even goes overboard with the warning;

"Notes:
• There are three video jacks, Y, PB, and PR.
Separate component color inputs provide
luminance and color separation. Use the L (left)
and R (right) audio inputs.
• Select DTV-STB to 480i output mode. TV set can
receive 480i signal only. Picture distortion will result
if any other type of format is selected (i.e. 480p,
720p or 1080i)."

So you can tweak as you see fit, but really it's expecting a 480i signal, and that's what I would send fo accuracy nad then tweak the control panel to correct for overscan, etc. It should still provide you with better colour and picture than S-Video (I think XNEM3SISx was thinking composite, not component).

Anywhoo, you know the base and what it expects, you can experiment within reason, but it's not a great idea to overdrive the tube it can cause damage if it's not properly protected internally.

mrmez

Splendid
So in other words....
Your a Idiot

Since when is 480i (i, above all formats) condidered hi def?
720 i thought was considered SD with 1080p being true HD

Most crt tv's have ~480 lines, and slow refresh rates. While they do upscale much better than lcd's, 10x7 is probably the highest it will work well.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006

Brilliant, just brilliant. [:thegreatgrapeape:9]

Heck no; 480i is standard-def. 480p is considered enhanced-def, and contrary to what a lot of companies (like Sony) try to tell you, yes, 720p is, in fact, high-definiton, just as 1080i and 1080p are. The last is no more "true" than the previous two; anything to the contrary is just an advertisement from someone who wants to SELL you 1080p equipment.

And it's not like most people can readily tell the difference anyway; very few seem to have recognized that outside of sports games, hardly any games put out for the Xbox 360 and PS3 can actually support 1080p rendering... Instead, if you set it to that mode, it renders at 720p and upscales it to 1080p, which doesn't improve visual quality at all; it just partially prevents it from being degraded by being displayed on a television of the wrong resolution.

Technically, a CRT TV has 486 visible lines, sometimes more; NTSC signals actually include 525 lines, though typically not all of them are displayed. It's only digital signals that are cut down to a flat 480 lines. So yes, technically, excepting signal loss and interference, standard-def digital television is of lower image quality than analog.

tbates1244

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
This is exactly why HD has not been bigger cause it is not exactly simple. It says in the Nvidia Control panel that 480i is sdtv. Like I'm not supposed to see that or know anything or ever ask a question. Like i'm supposed to wake up and say "Oh my GOD! I know Everything about everything!" I know it feels good to be right but OMG. Give it a rest. You can call me whatever you like, I'll just get the information some place else. But because I haven't bought a TV in 3 years, I'm an idiot. OK, that's perfect logic. Anyway people like King and Grape Ape thanks for the legit help. It is hard to find today.