Sign in with
Your question

Broken CPU - What can I do with it?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 12, 2008 4:09:52 PM

Ok ladies,

I bought an E8200 off eBay, and it was DOA on arrival (tested etc). The guy has given me a full refund and I've got a new E8400 coming, but he didn't even ask for my broken E8200 back...

So, what can I do with it?

Hopefully your suggestions will utilise the word profit...

I'm not expecting much though.

Basically, can I con Intel into giving me a new one? Etc..

Go go go...

More about : broken cpu

a b à CPUs
October 12, 2008 4:26:46 PM

So you are wanting us to give you the okay to try something stupid at least, and dishonest at best.

You did not get ripped off did you?

In good faith, the original seller has made it right with you, correct?
If they don't want it back, make a keychain out of it or something.

Just really makes me sick when I see idiotic posts like this where people have the gall to ASK if it's okay to do something dishonest or cheesy to try and get something for nothing.

What a sorry, lousy excuse of character you are displaying my friend.
October 12, 2008 4:33:18 PM

Yeah, drill it out and make a key fob. You should be able to sell it for $2-$3 and there is your profit.

Go go go...
Related resources
October 12, 2008 4:35:24 PM

Feel happy you didn't get ripped off, and don't try to scam anyone else.
October 12, 2008 4:36:54 PM

Hasn't the CPU got a warranty on it from Intel?
October 12, 2008 4:39:08 PM

Also dont get so exited yet. The seller might send a return shipping label with the next package, and expect you to return it then, so if there is a warranty he can get it.
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2008 4:41:19 PM

I believe warrantys are non-transferable
October 12, 2008 4:46:59 PM

Oh ok.

That sucks a bit =/

Keyring thing it is then, as long as the seller doesn't send a return envelope.

No chance of fixing it at all :( 

October 12, 2008 4:56:58 PM

I've never seen a new processor DOA and the only time I've seen a processor die was when a whole motherboard went because of a too cheap PSU. He should never have sold it in the first place without testing it. At least you got your money back. Don't pass on the bad behavior.
October 12, 2008 5:03:07 PM

Yeah, he said he'd tested it, and that the person who broke it must have been someone else when packaging...

I know how robust CPUs are lol, so I was a bit surprised.

Oh well, keyring it is then.
October 12, 2008 5:30:08 PM

ummm... i wouldn't keychain the broken cpu yet. he might want the broken cpu back. to confirm that it doesn't work. people aren't stupid. if they refund money back, they will most likely expect for the defective product to be sent back to them. also, don't try to scam people. it's not worth all the trouble if you get caught.
October 12, 2008 5:32:37 PM

Yeah I won't do it for a while though. He didn't send an address and I asked him for one...so I'll wait a while.
October 12, 2008 5:32:45 PM

I find it very odd he didnt ask for it back. Probably because he expects it back as with any Ebay auction refund, or like somebody else said hes in the process of mailing you a return label.
October 12, 2008 5:34:55 PM

indeed if the seller is indeed shady. he would wait a couple of months for you to lose the cpu. He would then ask for it back but if you don't have it, or if you've drilled it. Then your gonna be paying him for a replacement.
October 12, 2008 5:35:17 PM

oh ok. kthnx.
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2008 6:04:06 PM

squiZZ said:
indeed if the seller is indeed shady. he would wait a couple of months for you to lose the cpu. He would then ask for it back but if you don't have it, or if you've drilled it. Then your gonna be paying him for a replacement.

That is a very good point that I didnt think of.
October 12, 2008 9:50:56 PM

I would send it back with a ring on it and a couple of old keys. :lol: 

All jokes aside, mark it on the bottom of the IHS as bad with a sharpy and ship it back to him. It's a courtesy thing.
October 13, 2008 1:27:19 AM

On the IHS write "BAD" in a marker, and ship it back to him.
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2008 1:29:57 AM

Write UR XX E on the top of the IHS (integrated heat spreader is the name for the tin top which sits on the cpu) with a felt tipped pen.

Then post it back.

Unrepairable
Not to be used
Dispose of in accordance with EME instructions.

That should do the trick.

:) 
October 13, 2008 1:34:33 AM

Ahh. Shame...

Would make a cool keyring...

If a bit sharp lol, would need filing.
October 13, 2008 5:34:27 AM

Don't write over the factory markings.
!