EVGA 9800 GTX+ Black Screen for a few seconds then back..help!!

thedeadmanx

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I have the EVGA 9800 GTX+ and so far when I run Team Fortress 2, during the game it just blacks out then goes back to normal a second or two later, keeps happening, I have the fan turned up to 100%. What are the GPU's on these models supposed to run at? When in game it goes upto about 47-48 Celcius. (Fan at 100%) , the system was newly built, new Asus Rampage Extreme board, the 9800, 2 gigs of corsair dual channel ddr3 and 700w thermaltake.....I havn't noticed it doing the mini black outs , outside of the game yet though....if I do I assume it is a bigger problem.

thedeadmanx

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I have just confirmed it does it in Windows XP w/ sp3 as well, just while browing the web.....black out for a second, seems random, then back on again.

chechnyan

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
you're temps are normal
i notice this happens when the system reloads the graphic card driver
or if you are using a DVI - D-sub adapter for crt monitors

thedeadmanx

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I was using dual monitor setup, one using the DVI to RGB connector, so I unplugged the secondary monitor, still had the issue. Restart....still had the issue. Then I tried changing the resolutions around and it got stuck on 800x600, wouldnt let me switch back to 1280x1024, it said "cannot support this resolution, native resolution 1280x1024" so it wants me to change it to the native, yet its also saying it cant support it. At this point I immediatly uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled......I assume the most up to date one is on evga's website, the 177.79 pak for 9 series cards....we'll see what happens now..

Had the same problem with my 8800GTS 640 from day one.
Boot the system, start working and 5-10 min later the screen will flash off and back on.
It only does it once and then works just fine until rebooted.
Did it every day for the entire year and a half I used it.
Never could figure it out but it's not that big of a problem in my eyes.

Your temps are fine.
You should only start to worry if your GPU is topping 95c.
They are designed to take quite a bit of heat with out any issues.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

Dude, this actually happens to me. I run an HD 4870. I load TF2 and the screen flashes a bunch.
I'm running two monitors as well, its really annoying. I don't know whats happening, but it seems to work just fine once it gets past the flashing.

thedeadmanx

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Mine is everywhere now , it's in the OS, during gaming, at all times, except in bios or in posting, because I have not tested it extensively in those areas. It doesn't "flash" , but actually drops to a completely dark blank screen, then turns back on a second or two later, this is happening intermitantly, it's not just once or 2x. It's constantly happening, might not happen for 20 min , then it will happen, maybe not for 5 min then it will happen....it's maddening.....but I will try the drivers directly from NVidia jus to be safe...

Hrm...
I would almost say it is a PSU problem but a thermaltake 750 should have no problems pushing your rig.
Do you have anything overclocked?
If so, put everything as stock and see if it still has the issues.
Also, you could try eliminating the RAM and CPU as an issue bye testing with prime95 and memtest.

thedeadmanx

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
This problem sucks because it is not consistant , I just was using my computer for a few hours and nothing, watching youtube videos. Then I played TF2 and it started about 10 minutes into the game, the GPU went from 39 to 47 celcius ..... god so frustrating.

Clueless

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Any luck on this yet? I've changed out power supply/monitor/ graphics cards/ and updated drivers and I am having the same problem. It doesn't matter what I'm doing. The only way I have found to get it to stop if it is doing it constantly is switch from a 2 display config to a clone display config and back again. Then it is good for several hours and sometimes days...

neverending

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
i just bought a evga 9800 gtx+ amd phenom@2.3ghz 4gigs of ram at 1066mhz . Anyways it flashes on and off just like in the previous post. evga couldnt help me with the problem. So i adjusted the screen refresh rate from 60 to 75mhz and now the problem is fixed in windows. Now i go into wow full screen and the game starts making screen do it again. so i changed the ingame refresh rate to 75mhz and problem is fixed. i dont know why this fixes the problem. anyone know why that fixes it?

irineras

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
same here got an asus 9800gtx+ dk top and no matter what driver I had black screens to.
browsed the entire internet for 3 days for solutions and tried almost anything except a hammer.
just an hour ago i messed with the refresh rates and here to it is solved at 75 hz
puzzled?
got 3gig ddr2 at 667 mhz
asus p5b-v mobo
intel core duo e4500 @2.94ghz
chieftec smart 500w psu
en9800gtx+ dk top
vista ultimate x86

BrotherFoul

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I had the same problem after performing a fresh reinstall on my PC. I tried all the above suggestions to no avail. I was finally able to fix the issue by reloading all the chipset drivers to the motherboard. So far, so good. 5 hours running strong. Not a single black screen as of yet.

jesvj

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

The exact same thing happens for me too with a 9500 GT under Ubuntu Linux 9.04. Seems really spooky to me - and yes, it is extremely maddening to ssay the least! :-( BTW, I use the Nvidia 180.44 drivers using Linux 2.6.28-15 x86_64 SMP.