Are dvd drives repairable?

cody47

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Hello.I have a sony dru 190a.I have a problem.My drive reads only a selected cds and dvds.It wont read all of them.IT shows most of the discs as empty.and occassionally it reads all the discs.but goes bad again.My drive is 2 years old.Please help.It would be really appretiated.

Thanks
Cody

Solution
Could be the laser lens is dirty, the laser is failing, the media is scratched or dirty, or some other mechanical break-down inside the box. Based on your posts, I think the software is ok.

cody47

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
It reads only a few cds and dvds.....any thoughts on it?If no then its best to buy a new one.BTW can this situation be repaired cheaply?Thanks again buddy

Cody

cody47

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Thank you again mate.Final question.....why does it read only a few cds and dvs...not all?And after several tries and at random attempts it reads those "non readable" cds and dvd.Otherwise...like i said it just reads blank....and of course its buffer fails between burning....could it be a nero problem or windows problem? thanks for ur help.

Cody

cody47

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I think the laser is failing or some dust must be stuck in the mechanism.It fails to read after a while.Ill get it checked by some local repair person.I cleaned the lens but no good.Ill let you know as soon as i get it checked.Thanks for your help.Ill be in contact.Thakns again

Cody{my email:addyamericanidiot@gmail.com}do send ur email plz