Buying DVD Burner today, please help me I am overwhelmed!

ShrimpMan

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I am looking for the best DVD Burner currently. I prefer a retail package (that includes Nero). Will pay up to around $60. I do not want Blu-Ray support, just regular DVD.

Does it make sense to pay $60 for a burner over the $30 models? What advantages accompany the jump in price?

Which one should I buy? Whats the difference between a top dollar Plextor and a cheap Lite-On?
Any advice and/or links to reviews, comparisons, etc would be great!

Thanks!

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Seriously?? I mean how do you people get through the day without asking total strangers on a forum these questions?

Jump in the pool and go try it out. Then you can reply to the next person about your experiences in buying the cheapest/most expensive DVD burner out there.

If you want NERO, then make sure its included - you typically pay more for it - I prefer the free IMGBURN personally. Nero has too much bloat for my tastes.

There is very little difference in DVD drives nowadays. You can pay $30 or youy can pay $60. But just go do it for goodness sakes. While drives can do 22X or 24X speeds, most media is 16x. I know someone will say X is better or Yis the worst, but are you going to believe them?

I mean its not like we are talking about the last purchase you will ever make - are we?

Pepsi or Coke?
Chevy or Ford?

Vinceb

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
With out BlueRay - for the most reliable CD reader (ripping) - id' go with the Sony Optiarc AD7240S. - This is I think overall one of the cleaner drives. The Lite-On iHAS324 doesn't handle errors quite as well.

None of the Blue Ray players I've looked at handle CD's as well as the Optiarc, that said if you need blue-ray - I think I'd go with Pioneer BDR-203BK while the CD error correction isn't quite as good as the Optiarc, the DVD correction is better than average.