raidmax 530w can't handle q6600@3.4ghz and oced 4850...?

Ok hey guys I found interesting discovery. When I have my q6600@3.4ghz and my 4850@ 690/1163 I get screen artifacts. I thought to myself damn maybe I need to voltmod my card or something haha.

I went to bios and set my ocerclock to default, my q6600 is running at stock speeds ice cold and with 4850 @ 690/1163 I have no artifacts. I'm guessing the overclocked quadcore takes a lot of power not leaving enough for the card to run stable at those high clocks. When I have my quad oced to 3.4ghz I can go 650/1100 (+25 on core +115 on memory).

The Phantom

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Do yourself a favor and get a top brand PSU if you have a system as powerful as that. Enermax Modu/Pro 82+ 525W should do the trick, or if you prefer another brand, Seasonic, Corsair (basically Seasonic as well), or if you really want the best of the best get PC Power&Cooling at around the same wattage. Especially overclockers need a very good PSU to make sure the system will be stable, and Raidmax isn't much better than a "no name" PSU.

In theory, your PSU should be ok. One of the differences between a Top quality PSU and an ordinary one is that the better PSU can deliver it's advertised power at a higher temperature(40c.). An ordinary psu may deliver it's advertised wattage only at 20c, room temperature. When you overclocked, the temperature in your case went up, and your PSU could not deliver.
There is a saying that "the bitterness of a bad product is remembered long after the sweetness of the price is forgotten". See if you can return the PSU.
The PC P&C silencer610 will do the job for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

Just to make it clear the psu came with case. I know Raidmax is not the best out there and I will buy new psu soon. I was thinking about getting something along 600wats since cards tend to take lots of juice.

Haha I watched that movie and no that didn't happen to me....yet xD

TRENDING THREADS