f16boiler

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
So I have reseated my Scythe Mugen 2 twice so far (what a pain) and am still not getting what I would consider great results. The cores on my i7 920 touch 70 C at 3.1 GHz under full load and I would like to do better.

I realized that a more obvious problem is lack of overall cooling in my case (Hiper Osiris). I have 3 pretty snazzy looking yate loon LED 120 mm fans (1 intake, 2 exhaust) but they only put out 38 CFM. I know I am asking the obvious here but I assume that I would benefit greatly from some more powerful fans. I love how quiet the fans are but I really need better heat control .

How much would a change in case fans benefit me and what would be a good CFM to shoot for. I could shove some 100 CFM fans in but I really would like some sort of balance on the noise level. I see other yate loons that are rated for 47 CFM (28 dB) and 70 CFM (33 dB) that I could pick up for cheap but I thought I'd ask before I make a change.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Yate loons from Petras are never a bad solution for better fans. Give em a try. There is reasons due to supply channels why Petra has the best ones.

Fannage matters with the new hot stuff like an i7 and a dual chip GPU.. Look at the better popular cases, it's fannage all the way.

You stated the obvious, now go do it.

Gentle Typhoons are all the rage right now, awesome fans, try to find them tho, hehe.

f16boiler

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
As I understand it, it is not exactly an easy task to figure out what the actual CPU temp is. I saw the huge thread in the overclocking section about it and thought for the moderate amount of OCing I am doing, assume about a 5 degree diff. between core and CPU temp. The i7 920 is recommended to run around 68 C max so that equates to about 73 core temp.

I actually have Petras Yates and they are pretty sweet. My only complaint is that they don't feel like they are blowing enough. I think I am just going to go ahead and stick some scythes in there to see how it goes. More air can't hurt.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Yea, they are low CFM. I run mediums and fan controller them. Lows might be a bit too low, especially if there is a lot of metal case mesh or a filter blocking flow.

The highs are also very popular and undervolt nicely too.

its very easy to monitor temps. These show CPU and core temps.

HWMonitor
Realtemp

Both of them work great with the i7, get the latest revision.