Sign in with
Your question

Samsung cdrw/dvd sm-348B

Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2009 6:53:30 PM

I sometimes have problems with this drive telling me that it does not recognize the cd or dvd disc that is in.

Also - how do I tell if this drive is capabale of writing dvd's ?? This is what it shows in my hardware section of My Computer:

samsung cdrw/dvd sm-348B

HELP - Thanks

More about : samsung cdrw dvd 348b

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
December 27, 2009 6:59:27 PM

Chances are it's a combo drive -- writes CD, reads DVD.

Check the small print on the drive bezel or have a look at the label on the drive.

If it's started getting fussy about reading discs, you could disassemble it (if you feel confident) and clean the laser lens with a cotton bud and some simple alcohol -- check any solvent on some other plastic first and look for clouding or deposits.

m
l
December 27, 2009 9:09:51 PM

Thanks for the fast response - now for a dumb response back to you - what the hell is a drive bezel ? I do not see a label on the drive anywhere and I am not about to disassemble it.
m
l
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
December 28, 2009 11:21:16 AM

Bezel, front plate, fascia, plastic moulding where the drawer comes out. It usually bears a logo indicating which type of disc works with it.

If you have a desktop computer you will find that full size DVD/CD drives usually have a label glued to the top of the case with makers name etc.

I googled the model number -- it's a combo drive.
m
l
!