Worse 3dmark everytime!

mrbobc

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
i was just wondering why from the 8.1 drivers my 3dmark06 score has gotten progressively worse with each and every version since?

my first ever score was 9477. ever since, using the same parameters my score has gotten lower and lower to the point where these 8.8 drivers are scoring 7400 in 3dmark :ouch:

oh yeah they did get better with the 8.7 drivers and went back upto 9300. so after the low score with the 8.8s i tried to go back to the 8.7s and i ended up getting 7200! worse than the 8.8 score!

is there anyway this could be anything other than the drivers? i use the express uninstall then use driver cleaner and it usually doesnt find anything after the first clean through, though i do use it a few times after that so i dont see it being the problem! but i dunno?! its that or my card is dying afaik! if it was a driver problem why would i get a beter score using the same method as always??

is my card dying slowely or not?

its a powercoler 3870xt @800/1170 stock btw!

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Well, if you look at the tech reviews site you'll see successive reveiws of each fo the drivers. In general the perf seems to go down a bit with each release - fixing known issues seems to have that effect unfortantly. Also keep in mind tha the later drive releases are geared toward the latest cards too - so you're probably better off with an older version that was 'optimized' for the x38xx series (8.1ish should be good).

Having said that, your drop seems rather larger and probably not accounted for by the later driver version alone. When you used driver cleaner, do you boot into safe mode and clean everything otu that way? (try that if not).

Also check to make sure that you don't have any other programs running in the background that you might have not had running earlier (including virus scanners, etc.).

Finally, have you added any new HW to your system lately? How old is your PSU and whats the make/model? (for that matter, what are the specs of your whole system).

It`s only a benchmark, and should be treated as such.
As long as your games and other software are uneffected, you should not worry.
If they ARE...THEN worry.
BTW 36 Mark06 is sensitive to CPU loading, so make shure all your taskbar and anti-virus software is disabled before running it. I can add 2000 points by overclocking from 2.4 to 3.0 Ghz with no other changes to the system!

mrbobc

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
its in my member config in more info :). i switch everything off except my firewall when i run 3dmark, anti-virus, sidebar, everything i can. i am using a different firewall now than i was but thats it! no new hardware!

i realise the newer drivers are for the newer cards but i never had this problem with my x1950pro! that card just seemed to get better and better with each new driver release right up to 8.1

i havent tried DC in safe mode yet, i guess thats next, then maybe a fresh install but i really really dont want to do that right now...!!

it does seem driver related but i have to ask, it cant really be my card slowing down to a stop can it? what about my psu u ask? how can i test that?

thx for the help!!

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Generally, as a PSU ages its power output deteriorates a bit. How much, if at all, depends on a lot of factors - but if you
have a cheaper made PSU and your system was on the edge to begin with, its conceivable that your GPU is being affected.
Its more likely its one of the other items that myself and the other posters pointed out, but this is a possiblity.

Can you list the complete specs of your PC, the PSU make/model and how long you've had it? We can at least tell if you're on the harry edge. Testing it would require a multimeter at minimum - but if you haven't used one/don't have one, it might be easier to take it to a comp store and let them test it (if it comes to that).

mrbobc

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
ok, sorry i havent been on awhile but here it is!

asus m2a-mvp mobo
amd 5200+ @2.8ghz
3gig corsair 5400 memory
powercolor 3870xt @875-1290
atrix 650w psu

i used driver cleaner in safe mode and used it a few times to make sure and reinstalled the drivers and it didnt help. i still got crap 3d scores compared to the first time i ran it with this card!

i got all the components april 2007 except the gpu which i got just after xmas.

i'm beginning to think you maybe right about the psu because when oc'ing i used to watch the load values with pcprobe and the 12v did drop to 11.49v and ive just checked it again for the first time in ages, i just stressed the gpu and the 12v dropped to 11.13v which is under tolerance, even though it works ingame.

so do you think it is the psu? i do hve a multi but i havent checked it out yet due to not having the time!

what should i get if i want to add a new gpu for CF and do a modest oc?

is the 620w corsair adequate?

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Check with your multimeter to be sure, but it sounds like you have a problem with your PSU.
I looked online and found this:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/atrix_500t/

The unit didn't do so well when it was brand new...not a high quality PSU from the sounds of it.
I'd look for a new PSU.