Shared Areas Across a Domain

G

Hi all,

First off, thanks in advance for the help and advice.

I’m currently having issues with shared data areas across my domain. On my DC I have two shared areas that are located as follows,

File storage
C:\Data – share name is ‘data’ permissions are full for ‘everyone’ and the pc name.

Printer
Printers share name is called ‘hpprinter’ again permissions are set to full control for ‘everyone’

DC name is Tilsed
Netbios name is Tilsed0

The problem occurs when trying to connect to them, if I go to a workstation and tools – map network drive when expanding through the tree the data storage does not appear. If I try to put in \\tilsed\data\ or \\tilsed\c:\data$\ windows cannot find the location.

Same kind of story with the printer if I enter \\tilsed\hpprinter windows cannot find the location.

I have tested this the reverse way by installing the printer locally to a workstation and connecting to it which is fine.

The workstation is using the admin log on credentials.
The workstations shows up in AD
The DC can ping both the computer name and IP of the workstation.
The workstations can ping the IP of the server but not the server name?

If anyone has any ideas or needs more information please just ask and I will try them.

Thanks again,

Steve.

lotussama

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Hi all,

First off, thanks in advance for the help and advice.

I’m currently having issues with shared data areas across my domain. On my DC I have two shared areas that are located as follows,

File storage
C:\Data – share name is ‘data’ permissions are full for ‘everyone’ and the pc name.

Printer
Printers share name is called ‘hpprinter’ again permissions are set to full control for ‘everyone’

DC name is Tilsed
Netbios name is Tilsed0

The problem occurs when trying to connect to them, if I go to a workstation and tools – map network drive when expanding through the tree the data storage does not appear. If I try to put in \\tilsed\data\ or \\tilsed\c:\data$\ windows cannot find the location.

Same kind of story with the printer if I enter \\tilsed\hpprinter windows cannot find the location.

I have tested this the reverse way by installing the printer locally to a workstation and connecting to it which is fine.

The workstation is using the admin log on credentials.
The workstations shows up in AD
The DC can ping both the computer name and IP of the workstation.
The workstations can ping the IP of the server but not the server name?

If anyone has any ideas or needs more information please just ask and I will try them.

Thanks again,

Steve.

You have a DNS issue. If the workstation can't resolve the server's name, \\tilsed will never work.
To confirm that it is a DNS problem, try going to \\[ip address]\data and see if that works.