boot problem

a friends computer (Dell) goes to the boot up screen whenever it is turned
on. No matter which choice they make (Safe Mode, Normal, Previous Good) the
computer goes to a Dell screen then immediately returns to the boot up
screen.

Occasionally a blue screen flashes on for about 2 seconds, and I caught the
words "Unmountable boot volume" before the screen disappeared.

I have never seen this before and don't know what to do for them. Can anyone
help me?

--
Take out the GARBAGE before replying to my address
8 answers Last reply

    Which Operating System?

    Clark

    Brian Gotjunk wrote:
    > a friends computer (Dell) goes to the boot up screen whenever it is turned
    > on. No matter which choice they make (Safe Mode, Normal, Previous Good) the
    > computer goes to a Dell screen then immediately returns to the boot up
    > screen.
    >
    > Occasionally a blue screen flashes on for about 2 seconds, and I caught the
    > words "Unmountable boot volume" before the screen disappeared.
    >
    > I have never seen this before and don't know what to do for them. Can anyone
    > help me?

    Hi,

    Boot the system with a WinXP CD or with the boot floppy set and hit 'r' when
    prompted to enter the recovery console (you will need the admin password if
    there is one). From there, run "chkdsk c: /r" (w/o the quotes) and check the
    state of the drive.

    Also, if SP2 is installed, when you get to the boot menu, try the option
    disabling the automatic restart on system failure. This should generate a
    blue screen (stop error) with details as to why it failed. Post back with
    this information.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
    >a friends computer (Dell) goes to the boot up screen whenever it is turned
    > on. No matter which choice they make (Safe Mode, Normal, Previous Good)
    > the
    > computer goes to a Dell screen then immediately returns to the boot up
    > screen.
    >
    > Occasionally a blue screen flashes on for about 2 seconds, and I caught
    > the
    > words "Unmountable boot volume" before the screen disappeared.
    >
    > I have never seen this before and don't know what to do for them. Can
    > anyone
    > help me?
    >
    > --
    > Take out the GARBAGE before replying to my address

    In case you need them:

    HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy

    --

    > In case you need them:
    >
    > HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654
    >
    > Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Boot the system with a WinXP CD or with the boot floppy set and hit 'r'
    > > when prompted to enter the recovery console (you will need the admin
    > > password if there is one). From there, run "chkdsk c: /r" (w/o the
    quotes)
    > > and check the state of the drive.
    > >
    > > Also, if SP2 is installed, when you get to the boot menu, try the option
    > > disabling the automatic restart on system failure. This should generate
    > > blue screen (stop error) with details as to why it failed. Post back
    with
    > > this information.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
    > >>a friends computer (Dell) goes to the boot up screen whenever it is
    turned
    > >> on. No matter which choice they make (Safe Mode, Normal, Previous Good)
    > >> the
    > >> computer goes to a Dell screen then immediately returns to the boot up
    > >> screen.
    > >>
    > >> Occasionally a blue screen flashes on for about 2 seconds, and I caught
    > >> the
    > >> words "Unmountable boot volume" before the screen disappeared.
    > >>
    > >> I have never seen this before and don't know what to do for them. Can
    > >> anyone
    > >> help me?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Take out the GARBAGE before replying to my address

    Thanks for this help. They are using SP2, so I will download and create the
    6 disk set from my computer, and follow your suggestions. I'll post the
    results later.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Boot the system with a WinXP CD or with the boot floppy set and hit 'r'
    > when prompted to enter the recovery console (you will need the admin
    > password if there is one). From there, run "chkdsk c: /r" (w/o the quotes)
    > and check the state of the drive.
    >
    > Also, if SP2 is installed, when you get to the boot menu, try the option
    > disabling the automatic restart on system failure. This should generate a
    > blue screen (stop error) with details as to why it failed. Post back with
    > this information.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
    >>a friends computer (Dell) goes to the boot up screen whenever it is turned
    >> on. No matter which choice they make (Safe Mode, Normal, Previous Good)
    >> the
    >> computer goes to a Dell screen then immediately returns to the boot up
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> Occasionally a blue screen flashes on for about 2 seconds, and I caught
    >> the
    >> words "Unmountable boot volume" before the screen disappeared.
    >>
    >> I have never seen this before and don't know what to do for them. Can
    >> anyone
    >> help me?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Take out the GARBAGE before replying to my address

    Did the chkdsk from the XP cd, and it fixed a problem. Exited out of the
    recovery console and the system booted, and is now working.

    I did not see an 'automatic restart on system failure' option in the boot
    menu that I could disable, but had a blue screen flash by too quickly to
    read before I did the chkdsk.

    Thanks for your help

    Hi,

    Glad it's working. That boot option, by the way, only exists if SP2 has been
    installed.

    --

    > Hi,
    >
    > Glad it's working. That boot option, by the way, only exists if SP2 has
    been
    > installed.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Boot the system with a WinXP CD or with the boot floppy set and hit 'r'
    > >> when prompted to enter the recovery console (you will need the admin
    > >> password if there is one). From there, run "chkdsk c: /r" (w/o the
    > >> quotes) and check the state of the drive.
    > >>
    > >> Also, if SP2 is installed, when you get to the boot menu, try the
    option
    > >> disabling the automatic restart on system failure. This should generate
    > >> blue screen (stop error) with details as to why it failed. Post back
    with
    > >> this information.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
    Good)

    > > Did the chkdsk from the XP cd, and it fixed a problem. Exited out of the
    > > recovery console and the system booted, and is now working.
    > >
    > > I did not see an 'automatic restart on system failure' option in the
    boot
    > > menu that I could disable, but had a blue screen flash by too quickly to
    > > read before I did the chkdsk.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help

    It does have SP2, but I didn't reboot after running the chkdsk becasue it
    went straight to Windows

    Clark wrote:
    > Which Operating System?
    >
    > Clark

    Since this is an XP newsgroup, I imagine it's an XP OS.

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

Computers Boot Dell Windows XP