request for simple computer speed video

proto_prime

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
can someone with either an e8400 (3ghz) or something close please create a video of just booting up and performing simple file operations (opening, copying, deselecting, etc.) because ive had trouble with the speed of my computer and i need to gage if its performing like it should be. i will compare my computer performance to the video's. thanks.

my specs (all stock):
e8400 (c1e, eist off)
780i
2gb 800mhz ram
7200.10rpm 3gb/s 8mb cache 150gb SATA hdd

randomizer

Champion
Those sorts of operations are going to be more dependent on your harddrive and RAM than anything else. Your CPU could be playing thousands of games of Tic-Tac-Toe with itself (and not winning if you have seen Wargames) in between read/write operations by the hard drive.

Whats the OS you are using?

That in what randomizer said is correct. To be honest the best performance will come from either 2 SATAII 7200s in RAID 0 or a Raptor drive. Personally I prefer the SATAII RAID0 because its cheaper for more space and will beat a single Raptor.

The OS might affect it. If you have Vista make sure to get SP1. It makes the boot faster and it would also help with the copying which was horribly slow due to a error with the system but was fixed with SP1.

Also if you are using Vista try to get 2GB more memory. That would help a lot. I went from 2GB to 4GB and saw a nice performance increase.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I got a 4.05 e8400 and it is bottlenecked severly by my HDD. I have a Western Digital 500AAJS. The read and write speeds suck bad compared to some of the better drives.

I've built rigs with e2180s OC to 3.2 with faster HDDs and they were snappier then this thing.

When I get paid next week I'm gonna buy 2 Patriot SSDs and put them in raid 0 for OS and APPs, and use this 5oo for storage.

Right now my 4.05 CPU is being bottlenecked by this slow ass HDD.

If you cant afford SSDs or raid I suggest 1 seagate 7200.11. They make some pretty fast drives.

Run HD tune and post your results. If your average speed is 70 or less, you will want to get a better HD. This 500 I got has a 52 average. "JUNK"

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
The Western Digital Black 1TB's are good as well from what I understand. Im also currently using crappy drives, got Vista on a 36gb Raptor made in 2005 :(, 250gb seagate and 320gb WD for games and programs/random files. All of them are preety slow, the WD drive is about 2 years old.

Thats weird. I have never seen a 7200.10 with 8MB cache. I haave 2 of the 500GB ones that have 16MB cache and the 7200.11s have 32MB cache.

It might be but depends on what your performance is like. Is it games or certain apps?

proto_prime

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
well, just basic file processing speed-- some stuttering (which people tell me is HDD related) unbelievable, huh? i can run crysis on very high settings with no AA smoothly but then again I have an 8800gtx and run at 1024x768 (overkill, i know).

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If you want to bench your machine try Sandra Lite and for your HD try HDTune. IMO 70MB/sec. isn't so slow that you would be complaining. It is possible that you have the OS pigged up and it could be running slow as a result. The only real test for that is a fresh reinstall including format.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Yup you need to use a free bench tool, to know for sure, but even @ 70 I think it is slow. 90+ or go home is my new motto.

70 would definately start makinging wounder whats up when things arent instantaneous.

proto_prime

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
oh hi again. i dont think my OS is "pigged up", i did those HDD tests and i get 60mb/s. norton isnt installed and i get the stutters. and for some reason now, when i enter safe mode (network) it is only just as fast as it is in normal mode (which isnt as fast as it was before i reformatted)

"""Yup you need to use a free bench tool, to know for sure, but even @ 70 I think it is slow. 90+ or go home is my new motto.

70 would definately start makinging wounder whats up when things arent instantaneous. """

slow for an e8400 to operate off of you mean?

No the 60MB/s is how much data it can move per second. With a drive like you have, a SATAII @ 300MB/s, you should be hitting 100MB/s with one drive and up to 200MB/s for two drives in RAID 0.

So your HDD might be bad. You might also want to defrag it and see if that boosts the speed a bit too. But what you would want to do is get another 160GB HDD just like that one and RAID them. But you will have to reformat to do that.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Go into startup and stop all nonessential programs, including virus etc. (they are nonessential). Go into services.msc and disable all non windows services. Reboot and let us know what you see.

proto_prime

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008

so then what specifies the data transfer rate? i dont see anything in my link to my current HDD that tells me. i need a 90mb/s.

i just reformatted, so defragging will do nothing. my disk is clean. i dont want to mess with raid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148230

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Transfer rate is something not provided by the manufacturer. Relies on too many things.

A. The amount left on the drive
B. SATA 1.5 or 3.0
C. fragmented files
D. running processes

All those things play a part in transfer speed. Keep in mind no drive is going to be 1.5gb/3.0gb speed, thats just the SATA standard speed cap or w/e. Bottom line is, dont expect a 160gb drive that was manufactured awhile ago to have blazing speeds, no matter if its full or empty. Higher capacity drives are usually quicker, also the Seagate 7200.11's are just as fast (if not faster) than the original Raptors, and the 1TB drives are very quick. I use a 36gb Raptor for Vista, and it sucks hard, dont know why I even bothered with it.

^The interface sped is 3.0GB/s. Its the link speed but its transfer rate is 300MB/s. All SATA II HDDs are 300MB/s. The next gen SATA III will be 6GB/s link speed with 600MB/s transfer rates per drive. SATA I is 1.5GB/s link speed with 150MB/s transfer rate.

Just get a second one of the same drive and set them up as a RAID 0.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

According to Seagates' specs for that drive, you should be getting about 76MB sustained xfer rates. The newer 7200.11 drives willvget around 120MS sustained. 60mbs might indicate some bad clusters / sectors, so download the seatools diagnostics and test it. Seatools might also be able to repair the damage, if any.

If bad and unrepairable, RMA it. Maybe Seagate will send a 7200.11 as a replacement.